Difficulties getting back into working

S

So... I handed in my MA dissertation about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't done anything academic since. My PhD started this week, I'm seeing my sup on Friday and I'm supposed to come up with a plan for the next month. The problem is I just don't feel like picking up a book/article or to even look my research log to see what needs to be done. I also have to give a 500 word summary to my graduate tutor by Friday and I haven't done any of that yet.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? How do you/did you get over it?

M

Hi there

Like you I also submitted a masters dissertation less than a month before starting another degree and I felt much the same about having to resume all that thinking and planning again. However I tried to focus on other things too like making new friends and doing some volunteering at local charities as well as within the uni. I was also starting a new job too so I found that all those new experiences made up for the monotony of going back to academic work so soon after a major project. With so many commitments I had to focus my time a lot and so I generally didn't have time to sit around thinking 'i've literally JUST done this' and that I found made things so much easier. That was just me though so don't know if this would work for everyone. Personally, I'll never do two courses that close to each other ever again though.