Dilemma about conference

M

I've been accepted to do a talk at a conference held in early Sept and I am now deciding whether I should go or not.

Basically I'm planning on submitting my thesis next month (in Aug) and I will be starting a job in Sept (the starting date is flexible, could start on any day within the first two weeks. i.e. could start after attending the conference). Problem is however that I'm still not absolutely certain if I would be able to submit by the end of Aug. I will try my best of course, but have not got a complete draft done yet (but will be in the next 2-3 weeks, i.e. by late July) and my supervisor has already implied that I should start the job later to have more time for my thesis. In fact, he's advised me to tell my department that I will submit in Sept even if in reality I am trying for Aug. I should also add that however he's never been particular supportive, often takes a very long time to give me feedbacks. I'd like to go to the conference because it is on the research area my new job is in (not the same area as my PhD), it's also the area that I'd like to be in in the long term (this job will be for 12 months only, so will have to apply for jobs again in half a year or so). I thought it'd be nice to get a crash course in this new area as well as meeting people and just get a general feel about the area. However I'm also worried that I may really end up submitting my thesis in Sept instead of Aug (i.e. no time for the conference). I have to make my mind up by the end of this week because if I don't register now my talk slot will be reallocated.

There seems to be 3 options open to me: 1) register for the conference now and hope for the best, 2) not register now but if things go well register later to attend but not to present (my slot will have been given to someone else), 3) give the conference a miss but check out the conference programme later and possibly email people that I'd like to be in touch with. (I don't know who these people may be at the moment but looking at last year's programme there weren't that many people doing presentation on the topic most relevant to my upcoming job. And I probably should add that my future boss is one of the key people in the area so it's probably possible to network through her (rather than this conference alone) too.

What do people think? I'm a very indecisive person and just can't make up my mind!

B

If you don't have a full draft by now I'd be very sceptical about the chances of your submitting in August. Sorry about that.

Personally I'd recommend option 2, with option 3 as a backup if that doesn't work out. I just think that going for 1 with all the other things you have going on is very unlikely to work out.

P

======= Date Modified 06 Jul 2010 15:28:48 =======
I think I'm working on a similar timetable to you (just without the job or conference :-( !).

So long as all you have to do is write up, so no work to go to etc, then I think you could make it. All you've got stopping you is how fast your supervisor gets back to you. My day consists of getting up, switching on the computer, working for 10 hours, taking a break and then going to bed. If you're putting a similar amount of hours in then I think you can make it.

I'd still be tempted to go for option 2 though. Partly better safe than sorry but also because the less stress the better around that time. Getting to present is a great opportunity but you don't want to be dead on your feet doing it. Is there still the option of submitting a poster instead? That might be more managable but still gets you there and gets you involved with others in the area.

B

Yes, the big problem is supervisor turnaround time. I speak from experience here, even though generally my supervisor was great. And then there's also the problem that the final revisions always take longer than you think they will, as does sorting out all the last-minute details.

So that's where my scepticism comes from, bitter experience really! I do hope to be proved wrong though.

P

Not looking forward to the final details :-( I have a feeling those are going to be the hardest bits. Are you all finished up Bilbo?

When I've been handing things in I've been trying to keep in mind how long it's going to take my supervisor. He's normally pretty good but even taking that into account I think it's worth being very conservative with estimating how long they'll take. Feedback can be a big job, especially the closer you get to a complete thesis. If you've got something to work on whilst you're waiting to hear back though you can stay productive.

I've gone over my timetable with him though, in detail. Maybe it's worth doing the same Montezuma? My supe knows when I'm handing in first drafts, and when I'm expecting to hand in corrections of those drafts so he knows when I'm expecting things back.

B

Yes I'm all finished Peljam. My viva was on the last day of March and I graduated 2 weeks ago today :)

P

Congrats :-) I shall pay particular attention to your warnings then!