Dilemma! Could with some advice!

Z

I've just graduated from an english uni with a 2i and my lab supervisor has applied for funding to keep me on to carry on my dissertation project work, but nothing has been agreed officially. This funding would start at the beginning of October, but I've seen a PhD I'd really like to do, and while I loved my project, I don't see it progressing much further, and isn't really in my field of interest. How can I get a reference from my supervisor to help me get this PhD without insulting him? Or should I forget a PhD for now and take this job? I know a PhD is really what I want to do and the challenges involved but is seems silly to turn down this job and lose a potentially valuable contact! Help!

R

Obviously the outcome of this depends on how nice your supervisor is! My dissertation supervisor offered me a PhD but I turned it down in favour of a topic I found more interesting. I just went to see him in person and gave him the 'bad' news and he was luckily really understanding and still was happy to give me a reference. Just say that you want experience in another lab blah blah... and your supervisor should understand this and be supportive. To keep on good terms after you've left the lab, just go and see your supervisor after you've got your results to let them know what you got and say thank you. You could even get them a card! Good luck.

S

Ditto robber. At the end of the day it's your life and you should do what you want to do, not what pleases other people. I'm sure your supervisor will understand, if you tell them that this is what you want to do.

B

Zoo-fish, I assume that you have yet to apply for the other PhD that you are interested in? You can still apply and withhold a reference from your supervisor until you get an offer of the other place. Like robber I would say that your supervisor should be understanding and supportive of you. This is going to be your PhD and you need to be fully interested.

Z

Thanks guys! I've enquired about the PhD with "references available upon request" on my cv, but I've noticed they've changed the posting since then to request "references from 2 academic referees". I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet!