Disabled student with Dyspraxia seeking sympathetic science supervisor

B

Hi I'm new to this forum and will be commencing a part time PhD in Medicinal plants. I've just completed a science MPhil, didn't get a chance to upgrade as I didn't have enough data for a PhD thesis, plus I had a supervisor who abandoned me, when I told him I wanted to change he scope of my PhD due to lack of data results.

Anyhow I been lucky enough to find a (first) supervisor who wants to work with me in investigating medicinal plants, however I need a second supervisor who is sympathetic and patient as I have dyspraxia and dyscalculia (diagnosed in 2011) which means I can be a little disorganised and a little slow with verbal reasoning and maths. I was wondering whether anybody on the forum could recommend a good organic chemist who would be an excellent supervisor and is sympathetic to Dyspraxic students.

H

Congratulations on finding a first supervisor. :)

To be honest you should probably discuss this issue with him/her in the first instance. It's not usually the case that students go and seek out second supervisors without their first supervisor knowing/contributing to the process. It's also usually the case that second supervisors are either at the same university, or have some pre-existing link with the research group/project.

If you're concerned about a second supervisor not being sympathetic to your needs, then I would suggest getting guidance from the student support services at your university, as they should have guidelines for how students with additional needs should be supported by their supervisors. But to be honest as long as your first supervisor is on board with things, then the second supervisor is less of an issue.

Good luck.

Q

======= Date Modified 28 Mar 2012 09:08:25 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by moderators - spam*