Disappointing MSc Dissertation Mark

L

Hi all! I've just received the mark for my MSc research project, and to say I am disappointed is an understatement. I have been given 65% which at my uni is a low merit (merit equals 65% to 75%).

My question is, is this likely to spoil my chances of getting on to a funded PhD? Although my average for the other modules is about 70% I feel that this mark really spoils my chances, especially given that the mark for a research project is one that potential supervisors are likely to consider the most important in terms of evaluating the ability of a candidate.

Any thoughts/experiences gratefully received!

J

Given that the usual requirement for a funded PhD is a 2.1 in a bachelors degree and I know of several people who have progressed immediately to a PhD with this level of mark I would have thought a merit at masters level would only boost your chances!!

I think most supervisors would agree that getting a merit level mark at masters is much harder than the same percentage at undergraduate level. Also bear in mind you will have ~6 months more lab experience than many other candidates applying for funded positions who only have an undergraduate level of education.

A

research councils ask for a 65 or over in dissertations so I wouldn't say it's spoiling your chances, more like boosting them! - good luck.

L

Great, thanks for your replies! Feeling a bit better about things now anyway, and hopefully with better marks in my other modules I should end up with a good overall average.

Now, for the hard part-applying!

S

What did you get in your first degree? if you met the PhD entry requirments in your undergraduate degree then you should be fine and as has alreayd been said it will only boost your chances.

L

I got a first...so I guess that helps!

D

Hi Luisa, I got a first in my BSc too and went straight onto funded PhD with big pharma company no worries...an MSc just sounds like icing on the cake in your case! All the best

S

Hi Luisa, you really have nothing to worry about. I got a first in my undergraduate degree and then did I masters, I got a similar mark to yours for my dissertation (merit) and got a merit overall for the masters. However I didnt have any problems getting PhD offers and weasnt really asked too much about my dissertation marks or any of the marks for the masters course at any of my interviews. The first degree was enough and I was given unconditional offers on the basis of this, so really you will be more than fine and the extra knowledge and experience you have gained from the masters will give you a real edge even though you probably don't need it. I hope this helps

L

Yes it does, feeling much more confident about things now! Thanks for your comments!