Dissertation not related to PhD...

C

I finished my undergrad at Oxford last year in geography and got a 2i classification. I wanted to take some time out before starting a PhD and have found one I really like at UEA. Two problems - firstly, I dont know if my lack of masters will hinder my chances, and second, my dissertation is not remotely related to the PhD although some of the options I took link in. Is there any chance I might get this?

T

Well firstly not having a masters shouldn't hinder you.. I don't have one and it didn't cause any problems for me..

Secondly I don't think that your final year disertaion is much of an issue.. Mine wasn't really linked to what I am doing now and again that wasn't an issue.

If you are interested in the PhD then go for it Oh and the UEA is not a bad uni either, Norwich is a nice city

R

Why do people that did their undergrad degree at Oxford or Cambridge always feel the need to point this out at every possible opportunity? No one cares.

S

well, I think the scholarship selectors do care which uni you did your undergrad. I know most of the ESRC/AHRC award winners graduated from Oxbridge.

R

Yes, but it wasn't exactly necessary to put it in this post. Are we all expected to bow down in worship or something?

R

By the way claireg, you could just apply and see. I went straight from a bachelors to a PhD and so did most of my friends.

S

Haha, I think claired didn't mean to mention this specifically. But probably claireg you don't need a masters as postgrad qualification from Oxford are awarded as Mphils, so undergrad should be seen as postgrad? I'm bantering....

M

Message Removed.

C

I seem to have opened a can of worms! The Oxford bit was certainly not intended to come across as me being a pompous arse, more just as an aside, as I wondered to what extent tutors took into account where you did your undergrad.

Thanks for the responses all - the opinion seems to be that a masters is not a necessity, and that cases are judged on individual merit.

R

Sorry claireg, yesterday was a bad day. Didn't mean to be, well, mean!

T

I think that potential supervisors must look at where you did your undergrad degree as some institutions are better than others.

C

Now you may bow down in worship by way of an apology!

I hope the day got better...

R

Lol claireg, you're not so bad after all

O

" finished my undergrad at Oxford "

Maybe Claireg only finished her undergrad at Oxford Brookes University, as nothing else is specified.

....waiting for the scream:"No, UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD"

C

Robber - high praise, thank you!

And there will be no scream - it doesn't have any relevence to the question I was originally asking anyway.