Dissertation Timeline Calculator

P
J

are you serious?? hmm, not sure this will work for everyone... surely one should come up with a personal timeline that suits how one works and the project at hand. This time line would scare the hell out of me if I took it seriously! it suggests a month to 'understand expectations!!' Half the battle of doing a PhD is learning to organise and plan your time effectively, using this just reduces the whole thing to a bit of a farce! ...

P

Ya, I think it#s always worth a look to see the stuff that's lying around...And then, act like intelligent human beings and be selective about what we would want to use and how!
I dont even go by the PhD books available on the market :), so least of all a calendar...but its always of interest!

Thats why "of interest perhaps?"

P

PS: Also Juju, i interpregted the 'understanding expectations' bit as understanding expectations of roles and duties between supervisor and supervisee. that was the first thing my sup said at our first supervision, what are your expectations and we need to understand mutual expectations. Of course the whole of it is relative and only an idiot would follow it verbatim or follow it at all, the whole of it is so very individualistic.

J

cool :-) it was interesting all the same ...

J

It  is interesting, but you need to plan your work according to the timetable of your university, for example here there is a week of induction to fit in, then there is the submission of the proposal (the formal one, not the one you used to get in:-)). Then there is the transfer, then you get left alone for a bit to get on and finish it. I set up a timeline using excel, put the dates along the top, I put the chapters down the sides, with broad areas that I wanted to include and them filled it in, leaving 6 months at the end for final writing up, but with areas for writing up for each chapter, plus review spaces for each etc., each with their own colour, yellow is writing up for example. This allowed me to put in the chapters needed for transfer, their write up etc in the correct months, but still let me allocate some time for other work during this time. The thing with excel is that you can add bits to it, and move stuff around, but it will still let you see where you are in the overall framework, plus it makes you think about what you need to put in it, so you need to have a rough plan at least. My supervisor liked it anyway.

P

Oh thats a great idea....i totally love graphs and charts and mind maps and tables..they work so well with me (and i work well with thme!) ok..off i go to check the stuffing (slurrrp!) bye!

S

======= Date Modified 13 Sep 2011 09:30:32 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--inappropriate content--

G

======= Date Modified 08 Nov 2011 12:48:37 =======

[b]Why the

are still so expensive so is there any free online tutoring site which can provide me the graphing calculator for free? i urgently want it...