Dissertation Topics - how to choose the right one....

L

hello, All
I would like to get some insight into how you all choose your dissertation topic. I'm coming from an entirely different background from my undergrad degree, and thinking about changing research interests for my phd. I feel like my advisor is giving me too much room for the decision (I understand it's my phd) but feel like i'm sinking instead of swimming. How close was your previous research interests to your current? Is there some kind of unwritten law that you should choose projects that are close to your background, or where your heart is?

S

You have to feel really motivated by your project to keep at it for 3+ years. I switched faculties from undergrad to postgrad, but there is some overlap in my actual project. If you want to do a project in a new field you might want to consider whether your supervisor has any expertise in that field or you can can get expert feedback from someone. Can you lay out some potential project ideas and ask your supervisor for feedback? That's what I did and he liked one that was really just an idle specualtion I had at the time after reading soemthing in a journal.

Getting into a new field is a steep learning curve but the big plus is that it is new and interesting and helps keep you motivated.