distant PhD - leading Universities?

G

Hi, I a lawyer from Bulgaria. I am searching for a PhD work (distant, but not online) in a leading European University. I have some research subjects already. Prefer to make it English (but still don't have TOEFL). Already cheked in Netherlands, UK, Germany. Italy. What do u think? Which worth? Please advice? What should I do? I'm a bit hopless so far... :)

O

It has been said before on this forum and not many agree with me but the best option is:

Belford University, U.S.A.

G

Thanks. Could u be more specific? Still i prefer Europe, but...

O

Well, I bought my PhD over there for special price $499. It arrived two weeks later by UPS.

Joke aside, Belford is not really a good option. Why don't you check University websites in UK, to see where distant PhDs are offered. Still I don't think it is the best way to do a PhD.

O

... to do a PhD online, I meant.
to do a PhD in general might not be the best way either but that's my subjective opinion based on my own, limited (thanks Golfpro), experiences.

G

Yes, may be. But I don't want to make it online. I want just to be distant - I can visit my tutor when neede, but I must continue working here in BG. What do u think which of the countries I've already mentioned will be the best choice?

O

I don't think Italy would be a good option. Probably between the other three. But it will be very difficult to find a suitable distant PhD as they are usually very rare. Good luck

G

Actually my enquiry up to now shows me that I have a lot of opportunities in Netherlands, but I'm not so sure about the quality???

O

If that's the case, go for it. Just make sure the university is accredited. Netherlands PhDs are usually of a high standard. Do you have names of these institutions, so other people on this forum might offer you more information?

G

The University in Groningen, the Erasmus Rotherdam University, the Asser Institut

O

Ok, I'm familiar with all of these institutions and they are definitely risk-free and belong to the best. If you have the chance to get admitted to a distant - PhD there, then go for it.

I didn't know they offer distant PhDs..

G

Are there with the quality of a UK or German Uni? (sorry, perhaps it is a stupid question). Actually, yes, they offer distant PhDs - of course I have to find a supervisor or a "promoter", like they call it, but Groningen helps in this way too. I think I have a good subject - Bulgaria is for about 2 months in the EU and a lot of interesting topics can be discussed. But TOEFL is be obligatory?!

G

is obligatory... I am interested in public procurement and competition. I find out that comparative PhD works are very "modern" currently.

O

Quality-wise definitely standard of UK and most definitely of German universities. I know students of Groningen myself, it's a good place and Erasmus Rotterdam is a top-player and very well-known.

Just make sure you convince the "doktorvater" or Professor that you are motivated enough to complete the PhD and also how often you are able to physically travel to personal meetings.

G

Well, thank you very, very much. It is very nice finally to find someone to answer my questions. I am already sick and tired from the net , but I'll continue searching.
If I pay everything on my own is it going to help me? - I mean I will not compete for a scholarship and may be I find sooner a promoter, but who knows. Can you advise me where to search for a supervisor?