Do any universities do CRB checks?

D

Has anyone had to do a CRB check before being accepted? Application forms always ask about convictions but I always assumed it was a formality and not worried too much. Im just a bit concerned it may be different at phd level. This wont matter if checks are not done.
Would universities take convictions into account when looking at applicants if im honest and put them down? I know I should really but dont want to ruin my chances especially since the convictions will no longer show up an a check in a few months time.

T

I'm sure you'll be checked if your PhD involves working with vulnerable people (e.g. education), and I presume if you're in the healthcare/medical field you would too? I don't know, maybe one of the medics on here could advise.

You'll probably be checked too if you do any outreach work in schools etc alongside your project.

G

They have to have you written authority to do one. Does it say that on the form? They also cost £40 [I believe], so I doubt its something they would do routinely [?].

D

There wont be anything like that- im applying to maths depts

P

Funnily enough, I wasn't CRB checked even when they offered me a PhD working with vulnerable adults. I think I just had to specify whether I had any criminal convictions.

However, I had to complete the CRB forms prior to my pilot study. The department paid for my CRB fees (thank goodness!).

T

I should have clarified - because I think they are only valid for a certain period of time, like Pineapple said, you won't have to do the check until your actually going to do fieldwork etc involving vunerable people (or the outreach work etc). I doubt they'd do it before you were accepted or before you started the work you needed it for.

D

Cheers guys, if the checks are only carried out when vulnerable people are involved then itll be ok. I think if i told them about it theyd probably be OK with it anyway as it was quite a long time ago now. But I think after reading your comments Ill just tick the no box and keep my fingers crossed. (so much for honest is the policy!)

S

I read your other thread regarding York university.I did my masters at York, just to let you know on the appplication form for York they donb't ask about Criminal convictions at all so you wont have to worry about that if you plan on applying there