do I carry on?

J

I'm in a bit of a quandry here. I developed my proposal with help from my potential department, and the prof thought it was good, had an interview, which he also thought was good, but now have had a note to say that someone doesn't like it, has made comments, which could only be answered in a longer submission (and I think the dean is not so keen on the titleand therefore is not going to let it through unless I change tack a bit) should I a) chnage it as requested, but then spend time investigating areas that I find off the main point I want to make, and is one of the reasons why I want to do it in the first place b)go to another uni with it, although the one I have applied to has the right kind of expertise and enthusiasm,and are quite keen or c) give up the idea because the area is far too controversial for anyone to want to take it on board? Its in the humanities area and I'm funding myself

R

Hi Joyce,

in my case the proposal had to be changed several times, and in fact I am still developing it. Changes I think are OK as long as they are based on expertise and as long as the work actually improves. One should not forget that the people who suggest changes are quite experienced in their field and from that point of view it is good to take their suggestions into account. As such maybe option a would be best?

J

I suppose I'm just a bit annoyed that one of the people who is querying the validity of the area is in the same dept as the prof who thought it was good, and has made the type of comments that firstly need far more than the few words allowed in the original proposal to answer - if I had had unlimited space then they would have been there to start with - and secondly suggest to me that this person has the ideas on the subject that I am trying to change! I thought the idea of the proposal was just that, all the books you read tell you not to worry about the title, because it is just a working title and will change, just a basic outline will do (which is all you can fit on the two sides allowed )and now they are suggesting that the title is all, and need proof that the problem exists with masses of data, the only way you could get all that on is to use size one type - new version will, I think spread to about 16 pages, but prof says just do it, so I shall..

R

Yeah ,see your point. They want more information but on the other hand the proposal can only be a few pages.

The trick may be to concentrate on their suggestions and use more words on that (than what you feel is required).

The other parts try to write really condensed. For the condensed areas you could use something like: This has been extensively described in the literature and showed that ...(references). However there is a gap of knowledge around.... and my research will concentrate on this etc. Therefore I intend....

Do not be suprised that when you bring it forward again that there may be other suggestions, this seems to be part of the process.

S

also keep in mind, especially since you are self-funded, that the proposal you are accepted with is not binding. where i study we spend most of the first year re-working/expanding our initial proposal. some people wrote a completely new project. and even then, we can still change it later...

J

Just to let you know I have sent in a revised proposal today. the supervisor says it is good, but as they don't have the final word it is still in the balance. Don't think I will be able to start September though unless they let me off the induction now and let me do it later (won't be able to arrange time off at such short notice and with other things that are going on), oh well, just wish me luck. Funny thing is though everyone seems to agree if you are self funding there isn't much of a problem getting a place, but I suppose that may be only valid if you are doing something within the department's comfort zone!

R

Well done Joyce,

good that you have sent the revised proposal. Everything goes in small steps and there may be corrections yet this is all part of the game!

Rick

F

i can't answer your question, but just don't give up, you will get there!

are there other current/past PhDs you can talk to about this?

J

I'm still waiting to hear, but expect they are waiting until the next time they meet up. not to worry, I've got more than enough stuff to keep me going where I am working, so I would probably have too much to do to do anything about it at the moment. I'll give them a few more weeks, then I will get in touch with my supervisor (yes, I have one, even though I haven't been given a place yet)and see what is going on.