Do I have to feel "guilty"

L

Hi

I am doing a science related PhD and I am in the program a little bit more than one year (14 months). Until now I have 3 publications and my supervisor already gave me an outline for my thesis. He said some more work on two topics and some more publications so that maybe I can finish in one year. The problem is, that the main inspiration for most of the work until now came from my supervisor and my ideas have only contributed in bits and pieces. Do I have to feel now like a "fake" where receiving the PhD? Or should I feel lucky that i have such a great supervisor who helps me out that much...

J

I don't understand what you are talking about. Please clarify your problem.

L

If I have to feel bad that I got so much help from my supervisor...
In some way he had many great ideas that I realised than and got good results out of it which resulted in quite some publications.

In some way I think I should have come up with some ideas in the meantime but if I have then one this kind of work was already done. So I dont know if I am worth then the PhD at the end....

P

Dude, I thought I was a fake as my viva was so short... I thought I was a fake as I spent most of my 3 years down the pub or watching trashy TV chat shows and not doing any research...

I thought I was a fake for managing to get all my colleagues and supervisor to present the papers we co-authored as I didn't want to...

Meh, who cares? I mean, if you pass, you pass... you *could* be incredibly moral and brow-beat yourself and then find out that as you progress through the PhD you naturally get more confident and draw more on your own skills and knowledge.. or you could perhaps, accept that your supervisor knows what he / she is doing and therefore stop stressing so much

S

This so common as to be normal in science PhDs - especially lab-based projects. Don't worry about it. Your viva will be testing that you fully understand and have an informed opinion about the work. I used to be in a similar field and have friends who are now supervisors for lab-based projects and we have talked about this very thing. It's usually just not feasible for students using such expensive stuff to completely dsign their own projects - generally they carve out a piece of a larger ongoing team effort.

B

Your job as a PhD student is to "produce an original piece of work that contributes to your field". It doesn't have to be devised by you, but you have to produce it (i.e. understand it, do the work and write it up).

Thats all.

If you think about it almost all modern scientific work is based on the "standing on the shoulders of giants" premise. We all follow on the groundwork of someone else (unless you count ancient philosophers or a renaissance era experimenters who had to do things from scratch).