Do many people finish researching and submit thesis in 3yr time period?

F

Hi Guys,

I've been noticing that a few of the students in my office (computer science department) have taken four years to conduct their research and write their theses. I was just wondering, do many students finish their research and write-up within the three year time period?

A

I didn't (and not met anyone who did!). I'm sure plenty of people do but completion times are in part dependent on the type of project you do and you need some luck along the way.

The average time for a PhD completion in the UK is 3yrs and 8 months (2003 figure, see sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_development/issue/articles/2590/doctoral_education_in_the_united_kingdom.)

A

NB you'll need to stick a 'http://' in front of that link!

W

I always wanted to finish within 3 years and thought it would be the end of the world if I didn't. But this didn't happen - I have been doing mine for 3 years and 5 months and the end is in sight! No one who started with me at my uni has submitted yet. I have publish 2 papers, presented at 4 conferences and been teaching which does take time and energy away from the PhD. However, I have met a couple of people who have completed theirs in 2.5 years! So it is possible, but it means being focused and not running into any time-consuming problems.

H

I know someone who finished in just under 3 years and another person who finished a month after.

So I guess its possible.....

J

no, as ann said, the average length of a phd is more than 3 years and some research councils (like epsrc) now provide more than 3 years funding by default.

W

I know two people who did it in 3 years. One was a compulsively timed guy who even had his bath time scheduled in an excel file... the other did something which was an extension of his MSc so he had his first year sorted. I thought the world would stop if I did not finish mine in 3 years. I have been doing mine part-time for 4 years and the end is very close. Mind you when I say part-time, I am employed by the university as a research fellow so my work is somewhat related to my thesis.

D

The end is now in sight for me! It's been about two years and a half, but the first year of that was taken up doing a research diploma. It must be because I'm soc sci, as I dont recall working anywhere near the hours you scientists seem to work