Do you argue with your supervisor

P

I am nearing the end of my first year of a full-time PhD. My supervisor is a really nice person and I have always got on with them. However, recently I find myself arguing with them over little things, e.g. the layout of user interfaces.

Do other people argue with their supervisor, or do they just do as they are told?

A

Hi!

Yes, comforting to hear that you made similar experiences (although in my case the arguments concern mainly theoretical/conceptual issues). I'm myself a bit confused about this topic. On the one hand I think it's a good thing to discuss openly about issues and explain your opinions and the reasons for your disagreement, and I think it's a mistake to just do as you're told, if you have good reasons to disagree. But then I'm also nervous about coming across as "arrogant" or stubborn, so I think it's something that needs careful negotiating in order to not damage the relationship with the sup in the long run. Quite tricky. I'd say that if it's stuff like layout it might be maybe easier to give in to their wishes. That might "save" the atmosphere so that you can better argue your case when there's substantial disagreement? But that's just a thought. Good luck in any case (and thanks for your reply in the other thread )!!

A

Just read your msg again -- don't know if layout of user interfaces is such a minor thing really, depending on your discipline maybe?

P

My topic is computer science, and interfaces are not totally peripheral to it since it is CASE-funded and is a real application that has to be used by non-technical people.

I think you are right, it is a balancing act; if you are a "yes man"/"yes woman" then you are unlikely to be a good PhD student in my opinion. However, if you upset your supervisor then you risk damanging a valuable relationship.

S

Some supervisors help/interfere more than others. Sounds like yours is a bit too 'helpful'. My supervisor will occaisionally offer a casual opinion or suggestion - but never tell me to do X or Y. It seems there is rarely a happy medium.

T

only on important things. little things, not necessarily; especially when the supervisor has some personal preferrance.

J

My supervisor says that he was never more proud of his last student than when, for the first time, she argued the toss with him. And she was correct, which made him even prouder.