Do you need masters to stand a good chance of getting funding for a PHD

S

======= Date Modified 26 00 2009 14:00:34 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Hi

I have got a First Class Honours in Computer Studies and a PGCE in Further Education and have spent the past three years teaching. I really want to do a PhD and have wanted to since starting my degree.

I want to do a PhD in any area in computing but I could only do it if I manage to get funding. I have recently applied for a university funded place but did not get an interview.

Is there anyone that has managed to get funding with just an undergraduate degree or would I need to get a masters first to increase my chances.

I can't really afford to do the masters but I will probably have to work for a couple of years and save, if it is the only option, or possibly work and do the masters part time.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated

Shaun

S

Hi Shaun,

Most funded-PhD places stipulate that the minimum requirement is a 2.1 in a relevant discipline for entry on to the course. Therefore a Masters is not essential to get the place. However, it does obviously have its advantages, in that not only does it further your knowledge in a particular area, but also offers experience of research, which is invaluable for a PhD. In your case, obviously the fact that you got a first class honours degree at Undergrad level will make you stand out from the crowd, so I wouldn't necessarily say that just because one application was unsuccessful means that you won't be successful at all. The only thing that may count against you is that you've been away from research for 3 years whilst you've been working, which some might say means that having a Masters may be the best way forward.
Personally, I'd apply for others if you find some that interest you, and just make sure that you acknowledge the skills/experience etc gained in the last 3 years teaching that will help you with your PhD in your applications. If you get further rejections, maybe then consider a Masters, but at the moment, I'd say stick it out a bit more and apply for some other PhDs that interest you first. One rejection is nothing, it's relatively rare that you get the first PhD you apply for. I applied, and was rejected for 3 ,(and I have a Distinction at MSc) before finally being offered a place where I am now.
Good luck whatever you decide!
Starshine

M

Have you looked into the possibility of funding to do a Masters? I don't know how much might be available - and it wouldn't be as generous as PhD funding - but with First Class Honours and a teaching background I'd think you'd be a strong candidate.

Same goes for a PhD though, so might be worth hanging in there and trying again.

C

Hi Shaun,
Just to reassure you - HEFCE statistics have revealed for the last 5 years completion rates for PhD students with an MA (or equivalent) and those with just an undergraduate degree are virtually identical. Any potential supervisor worth their salt should know this and this therefore shouldn't impede you at all. I personally did get an MA before my PhD which I felt was really useful in terms of training and preparation for me, but I have friends who have completed a PhD without wasting a year doing an MA.
Hope this info helps,
Corrina

K

Hey there! I think it's probably really important to speak to a few universities and ask whether you need a masters. In the department I am in (Clinical Psychology) an MSc is an absolute requirement for entry onto the PhD, even if you have a first at undergraduate level. I know of no PhD student in the department who doesn't have a masters, except one who has a lot of other relevant experience, and even she was made to take a number of MSc modules in her first year PhD. Personally, my MSc really prepared me for my PhD and I would have really struggled without it. But I know in many other areas it is feasible to go straight from undergrad to PhD- I don't know much about computer science-best to find a few universities that you are interested in and approach them directly to find out what you need I think. Also bear in mind that you will be competing with a lot of people who do have masters degrees. But still, if you can get away without one, you will save a lot of money! Good luck, KB

S

Thank you everyone for all of the great advice

I think I will continue to apply for studentships as they come up for now and then think about my options more if I am unsuccessful. I may end up doing a PhD part time over five years and continue to work as a college lecturer for three days per week if I cannot get the funding. This will just cover my living costs and fees. I have looked at the statistics on part time completion rates from HEFCE and it seems that a large proportion drop out before completing the PhD so I will have to make sure that does not happen to me.

I would love to do an MRes but I would have to do it part time, which would mean another two years of studying and paying all of the fees for the course. I think my best and only option is to go straight for the PhD whether I am funded or have to fund myself.