Do you recommend that !

L

Hey everyone .. i would like to have your openion about something. I am preparing a paper and i have finished the manuscript ready for submission. Due to the fact that i am still recent in term of the field that i would like to publish in i though to seek help from some professors who are experts in the field to read it for me b4 submission and at the same time put him as an author in the paper.
Do you rekon doing that or it is risky that it can be taken?

T

Why don't you give it to your supervisor to read through? Or you could ask some other people within your research group to have a look at it.

Personally I wouldn't pass on any manuscript containing my research/results to someone outside of my immediate research group, and I certainly wouldn't then add them as an author of the paper. Addiontally I would imagine your university would have something to say about you sending your results to a third party before it is offically published due to IP/copyright issues. Besides when you submit the paper for publication it will be reviewed by experienced people.

L

Hi tricky .. i understand your point clearly ! well i am an independent researcher ... and i am doing separate research away from my main decipline. I am a protein crystallographer .. and i have an interest in organic chemistry in which my manuscript/paper i am intending to publish is all about. The point is from doing that, giving a paper for a prof in org. chem. to read it, to minimize the chances in rejecting the paper !!!

S

you could always submit, and if it doesn't work out, find someone more experienced to discuss it with. but who knows, it might be accepted as is. or, you get feedback with which you can adapt your paper to the standards requested.
personally, i would not approach someone senior in the field for help before at least trying - submit and see what happens!