Do you think just a complaint is enough?

M

I have been caught in an extremely devastating situation. The story is too long to describe but the main point is that my supervisor has caused me a lot of problems although I have always worked extremely hard and have been, according to him, an excellent student. The problem is that because of this situation, I have severe panic attacks and depression (this is what the University nurse suggested and my psychologist diagnosed). I have also developed psychosomatic symptoms such as nose bleeding, breathing difficulty etc. I have lost my motivation and rarely go out of the house any more. I had never had any psychological issues before. This is all because of the two years I spent as a research student working extremely hard under stress and allowing myself to be bullied by my supervisor. What’s more my supervisor knew the psychological issues I have developed during the last two years of my studies but chose to ignore me. My psychologist told me to avoid any contact with my supervisor.

What can I do? Do you think just a complaint is enough? What about my personal injury?

B

I think this may be an issue for your union and university, as far as I know it is unacceptable for a boss or supervisor to hold mental health issues against you, as long as you sought reasonable treatment (which you did).

E

Get yourself sorted first. Whether you like it or not, there is going to be some hassle in whatever course of action you take. Take the necessary time to sort out your head (even if its just to the extent of getting rid of some of your worst fears). Find people you can trust and confide and would be willing to be beside you whatever action you decide to take - they know you and possibly the extent of your situation. You're not alone in this and as the other person said, there is people experienced in this sort of thing

V

I advice you speak to someone at the student union.