Do you think we should have an 'introduce yourself' thread?

S

What do you reckon? I'll start:

I'm Billy (female) am 22 and a first year. My PhD is in statistics and am at a London uni although I don't live in this horrible stinky city!

P

I'm Sarah, I'm at a London uni (but live in Oxf. with my husband), I'm an archaeologist and just finishing my second Masters before embarking on a PhD.......

C

I'm Chris, 24, and I am an enigma.

P

Oh and I'm 24!
Forgot that bit!

S

Hi! I'm Kimberley, at a uni in the North West, living in Manchester. I'm 26 (soon to be 27, which terrifies me as I always thought 27 was the age you got married, bought a house, and at least had the semblance of a 'proper' job - I of course have none of these). Second year PhD, looking at how urban spaces deconstruct identity, mainly national identity, and the impact this has on traditional ideas of political community - with special reference to Yugoslavia. ooooh, that was a mouthful!

I like gin and tonics, walks in the park, Curb Your Enthusiasm/Peep Show/Mighty Boosh, and I'm looking for a partner with a good sense of humour, an interest in current affairs, and a large bank balance. If you are interested call 0800 DEPRESSED ISOLATED AND SKINT.

R

Hehehe... Are you two really 24 or are you just mocking Alex from the Apprentice??? Funny...

I'm Rosy, I'm 27... which by the way is definitely not the age that you grow up, buy a house etc. etc... Although I did get engaged last year... but I was 26 then!!! I'm 27 now by the way... I'm in my third year of PhD, live in Ireland... and oh yeah, I'm 27

C

I am indeed 24, and I shall be 25 in 3 weeks.

R

It's all downhill from 25 onwards... gravity starts to take it's toll! Just kidding 25 is a great age!!! I will be 28 next month now that is what I like to call "nearly 30"... Boo hoo

J

you're all so young! I am 29... second year PhD, two masters done, been in the working world and ran away, don't want to work in academia though... Am studying in International Relations, looking at humanitarian activity. Have a BF of 8 years, move house/countries too often to own a house (and student-induced debt is a problem!) Don't fancy a life that includes 'settling down' really anyway. Am doing a PhD because I love my topic and think opportunites will present themselves as a consequence, rather than as a career move ~(not keen on a 'career' as such) so am very happy at the mo! It's strange you al so young cause at my uni I am the youngest!

Nice to meet you all!
x

O

I am Olivia, and I am in the decade where the age of reason arrives. If you don't know what that is, well, look it up! Reason arrived and told me I should commence a PhD in the UK. I sometimes wonder if reason had the wrong address, or I mistook something for reason that was not.

I enjoy trout recipes and think trout is a healthy addition to the PhD diet, if you can manage to find it at a reasonable price.

Young and old being relative terms, I do remember feeling old at 25, because you are comparing yourself to a 16 year old for your relative measure. On the other hand, I now feel young, because I no longer compare myself with 16 year olds. So I am feeling more reasonable and younger than I was at 25.

O

Although your lifestyle is supposed to improve with age and time, mine took a definite turn for the worse when I started the PhD and moved into Bleak Towers.

C

Hi, I'm cakegirl, I'm female and love a bit of cake. I also quite like wine. Maybe I should change my username to winegirl? I'm doing my phd, hope to finish before I hit the next decade, because if it goes on after that I will have spent too many friday nights working... I'm about 2 years in.
Parts of my lifestyle improved on getting my phd, other parts are less improved.
I am single, and not sure if relationships and phds go well together... Although I think it's probably more about choosing the right person to relate with.
I like this forum for its anonymity, so that's all you get about me! It's good to meet you all.

A

hey hey

i'm a116, intriguing name, no? i'm 23. i am at a university in the midlands, about to finish my first year, and doing a health psychology/health services research phd. hoorah for the nhs!

at work i thoroughly enjoy writing multiple words which attempt to in the words of the streets, "push things forward". i enjoy it even more when this is rejected by my supervisors and i'm told to be "less controversial".

outside of work i like to watch the same tv programmes again and again and again. i appreciate watching people roll around in mud at glastonbury and contemplating exactly how many baby wipes it takes to get clean from that and exactly what kind of worrying infections people get in their "naughty bits". i also enjoy not telling people that i'm doing a phd as, without exception, nobody believes me.

hoorah!

A

E

i am emmy from greece. i am a teacher and currently my work involves assessing children with special needs. i have completed an mba and i am just starting my phd on women and educational management. in three months i'm entering the foufth decade of my life!!!

O

A116--are you named for a motorway?