Do your supervisors show any interest in your future?

D

Mine haven't at all. So I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks.

A

Mine varies but do ask what planning on doing - although suggested we try save the libraries which was a bit random, cos of our skill sets. They just seem concerned we have not thought as is only 18 months till hopefully finish. We try and have discussions with them to gage job prospects and these vary with how well they go or not. It seems to depend if they in supervisor mode or pastoral care mode as well, can be disconcerting I just say I'm going run a pub.

It does seem a shame yours have not shown an interest as they can be useful sources information for carriers etc, have you tried approaching the subject?

K

Hey Delta! What stage of your PhD are you at? My primary supervisor does, but then that's because I've made it clear that I want to stay on at this university and within the same research team after my PhD. Luckily she is keen to keep me on (although every time I hand a piece of work in I worry that she will change her mind!) so we have been dreaming up new research proposals and have a few funding applications in. To be honest, about half the team are due to finish at about the same time as me (including the most senior members of the team) so I think she is keen to hang on to as many of us as possible or else her team will literally be halved! What do you want to do in the future? Best, KB

D

Suggestions were made at the first couple of meetings and while still praising me they advertised a follow up to what I'm doing. Now I HATE my PhD but I'd do anything, to be honest, rather than unemployment. They know I'm very, very anxious about my future but they don't seem concerned.

K

======= Date Modified 23 Mar 2011 21:12:06 =======
I think it depends- there have been PhD students in this team that haven't shown any interest in staying on, and thus the supervisor has shown little interest in what they go on to do as long as they finish their PhD. I've made it clear from the outset that I want to stay on so my sup's been very supportive and is trying her best to get funding for me to stay on, although that's pretty tough at the moment and there are no guarantees at all. If you want to stay on then I would make it known to them and express your enthusiasm (if you can manage to drum some up!)- I'm sure they'd rather keep on someone they know and are happy with than risk taking on someone new! Best, KB

D

Thanks Keenbean - that's good advice. I'll raise my game in terms of 'showing interest'

A

I agree I would express what your intentions are, if you are wanting to gage what it out their a good new app seems to have appeared "uni career" so you can see what is out there if not enjoying your PhD, also good gage current salaries when/if do start talk to them. I think supervisors are all aware the what to do next thing is a big fear for students, I get the feeling although we have had discussions about follow up with them and my sponsors they also want to check how I do in the final year. We did get told this week the life of a post doc is not great so to really think about things and discussions have about next steps. I work as part a team that has many projects on going and things have been implied but I guess cant take things for granted till sit down with them. Just be clear with them the person who took there name out hat for jobs is now trying change this but the reception is less positive.

D

Thanks so much for the good advice and support.

A

======= Date Modified 23 Mar 2011 15:00:47 =======
When you are organising your next meeting, I would ask them then if you could schedule in a bit of time to talk about your plans, or theirs, for after your PhD. That way you won't spring it on them, and you will feel entitled to bring it up at your meeting. Also, you could ask them if they would take a look at your CV and give you some feedback. It will let them know that you are thinking ahead and perhaps prod them into action, either in terms of suggestions or offers for further work.

D

Thanks Ady. I've only had 8 meetings in total, I think. I got the feeling one thought we shouldn't need meetings anymore but is prepared to meet up anyway. I really like them, as people, but get the feeling they try to get as many PhD students as they can and don't cope too well with the pressure when they have them.

A

======= Date Modified 23 Mar 2011 21:47:27 =======
I was talking to a friend about a similar issue last night. We both felt that supervisors, in general, are really only interested in future plans if the student wants to stay in academia. Neither of us felt that this was in a nasty way; rather it is the world they know best. For example, we have lots of seminars in our university and most of them are interesting. However, they are generally by other academics, many of them experts in their field, but academics nevertheless. It would be interesting, I think, for practitioners to also speak to students and demonstrate the 'how' things are done as opposed to the theory.

Maybe I'm understanding you wrong (and apologies if I am) but I don't think asking for a meeting implies any weakness on your part. I have had pretty sporadic meetings with my supervisor - I haven't counted them but only a sprinkling throughout my so far 2 and a half years. However I emailed him yesterday asking for one next week - just to check I'm on the right track. I'll be gutted if I'm not :-(. Out of the blue he asked me if I had thought beyond my PhD. That's the first time he has ever done that so it looks like that's the sort of meeting we'll be having next week.

Wonder if he's going to offer me a senior lectureship?!?!?!?!?!?!?

D

No, you didn't misunderstand me wrong and so don't apologise. To be honest, I'm going to try and save my skin as I seriously can't stand the idea of being unemployed and that's the most likely outcome but I'm going indicate my desire to stay in academia - not in all honesty what I want though.

D

Hi Delta,

You obviously know your supervisor best, but you shouldn't have to express an interest in academia just to get them to care about your future career. Long term this could be counter productive. If you do want to work outside academia then your supervisor probably has connections in companies that might suit you.

I was fortunate and had a supervisor who actively encouraged us to look widely and considered staying in his group as a negative thing as it wouldn't broaden our experience, especially if people wanted to stay in academia.

D

======= Date Modified 24 Mar 2011 07:40:37 =======
Hi DrDan,

Many thanks for responding. You make very good points but I've moved around in the past for jobs etc and always ended back unemployed. For me, at this time in my life, I just want to be at home and as long as I could collect a wage I'd be happy enough.

To be honest, he doesn't have a team and only seems to have PhD students who can bring their own funding with them or are prepared to self-fund. I don't think he has much pull which is why he networks like crazy in my opinion.