Does it increase someone chances of getting a PhD if they are already studying at the Uni?

A

I had an interview for a PhD last week and the other applicant is currently doing a Masters at the same uni, whereas I finished my MSc in 2006 at a different uni. Does this give the applicant an advantage over me as the staff already know her etc? Is she more likely to be given the PhD than me due to this difference?

I don't think so. I'll try to give 2 examples to put your mind at ease:

- When I applied for the PhD at my current institution, I was already doing my masters there. Two places were advertised. Myself and 4 other class-mates applied. I got one of the places, someone from another university got the second one.

- I was also offered another funded place at another university around the same time. 1 place was advertised, I met a few masters students from that University in the waiting room, also waiting to be interviewed for the same place. So they didn't select one of their students just because they knew those students.

So, good luck with your application. And don't worry about things like this. It will only affect your performance at the interview badly. Think positively

A

Ok thanks for that, that has helped to put my mind at rest. Fortunately i didn't know that the other applicant was at the uni until after the interview so it didn't affect me during it.

sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that .

I hope you'll get the place. It's always a good idea to apply to other places, while you are waiting to hear from them (unless they gave you a specific time-scale to give you their decision).

doh! you said you had an interview . I must improve my reading skills. Skimming is not always a good idea

A

Yeah they said that they will get back to me in 2 weeks, so I will wait and see if I am accepted, and if not then I will look for other places.