Does job history affect PhD application?

V

I'm currently applying for molecular biology PhDs to start in late 2015.

In the meantime, I've been offered two jobs: one in software development and the other in software sales. The development job is relevant to the Phd in the sense that it requires numerate, analytical skills, but its salary is very low. The sales job offers a salary three times higher, but comes with no relevant experience or training.

My question is: does one's work experience affect the outcome of a PhD application?

I'm split between the sales and development jobs - one can help me pay off my debts, whilst the other is very interesting and might enhance my PhD applications.

Relevant employment using skills appropriate to the eventual PhD can support a PhD application, as you may require less support and be able to initiate any core studies that bit faster than those people without.

I held a development position before my PhD many moons ago and believe that experience was taken into account when I applied for my PhD.

That said, if your debts are substantial then economic necessity may dictate you take the job that pays more. The main consideration in my case was holding a degree relevant to my application and the main reference requested was from one of my first degree tutors.

Ian

T

I don't think they care too much about your previous jobs. Sometimes different experience is looked upon more favourable as you can bring other transferable skills into the team.