Does my supervisor dislike me?

M

My supervisor has never been my best friend, I only see him for supervision meetings. He's never been really nasty, just cold. We had papers in the same conference so we travelled together, on the first day he was having dinner with some researchers, one of them had a student at the conference so he phoned and invited her. I had already arranged to have dinner with this girl, so when she was invited she rang and asked me to come along. When I turned up my supervisor said "oh, are you coming? thats nice". Why had the other person invited their student to attend dinner but my supervisor didn't call me? He obviously didn't know the other girl would invite me, as far as he knew I could have been sitting in my hotel room on my own. It just seems nasty that he didn't call me and invite me when others had invited their students. Anyway he didn't speak to me for the remainder of the evening, didn't ask how my tutorial that day went, or anything. I just feel sad because other people's supervisors are obviously friendly towards them and mine seems like he couldn't care less.

S

Hi mlis, I really empathise with you because my supervisor has done essentially the same thing to me, and tons more, and I know it hurts (okay, it might not bother EVERYONE, but when it DOES it's hard to deal with). It's not quite as simple as "don't care about it" but I think that's what you've got to do. You can't change how your supervisor acts. Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't realise how he's behaving, maybe he's just thoughtless. Whatever the case, you don't have a supervisor who is friendly towards you. It's not a rule that they have to be, so you can't demand anything from him, not even equal treatment
It's a really horrible (unfair) situation to be in, just try your best not to let it bother you. Work, work, work, and have nothing else to do with him!

C

I'd've thought part of supervising you is to introduce you to other academics in your area, get you out and about and seen, not let you languish in your hotel room while everyone else hobnobs together! I agree its not very nice! Did you try to speak to your supervisor at the meal or do you otherwise try to be sociable (like
suggest a coffee over a supervision meeting or anything)? Do you show an interest in their research? Just thinking that they might have it into their heads that you aren't interested in spending time with them?? ?