Doing a PhD 3 years on ?????

D

Hi

I graduated in 2004 with a good 2:1 degree in Microbiology i planned on going straight on to do a phd , After my graduation i became seriously ill i managed to get away lightly and lost my left leg a year ago .

its been 3years since i have graduated most of that time (20months)spent in hospital

things are back to normal i have begun to apply for phd positions but i am feeling kind of negative . AA whole three years just wasted with no work or study although i have been involved in asome volunteer work working with other young people with amputations.

I done a lot of voluntary work experience in microbiology prior to even beginning my degree i have always been passionate about my research interests and i want nothing more than to complete a phd

The PhDs i have applied for i have mentioned the reason behind the gap in my CV

So in your honest opinions how would supervisors look at my application ? what chance do i stand against those who have been more fortunate? Just be honest please

Thankyou in advance for any comments you may have

Danny

C

Maybe a supervisor would think you had commitment if you were still applying 4 years on - despite serious illness.

Good luck.

C

Hi Danny. You have been through a lot in this three years. In spite of all the difficulties you are still motivated and willing to undertake a PhD. I think that your future supervisors cannot be other than very impressed with your strength and perseverance. Do apply! Good luck & a big hug.

X

Dan, fear not my friend! The gap means absolutely nothing. We have people in our department doing PhDs who have had a 20 year break since last studying. In fact, the most productive, successful PhDers in our department are the mature students who have lived a life outside of study and have brought their experiences to the table. Go for it Dan!!!

S

Go for it. You get everything a phd candidate should have. I believe there is no professor but dont want such a student with passion and perseverance to research work. Swing it, mate.

B

All applications are about a "narrative". Despite your lack of research experience, you have a blindingly compelling story and can draw things like determination and effort from it.

I reckon you should be okay.

S

Showing motivation is a big part of it and you clearly have it in abundance. Make sure that prospective supervisors are aware this in your initial application. Likewise, rather than apologise for the last 3 years, draw out the positives and how it makes you a determined, organised and strong-willed PhD candidate. Sell your strengths!

C

It is attenuating circumstances, rather than you just did nothing for 3 years so should be fine.
I have also seen people "fall" into a PhD without much foresight/dedication or who change discipline and have NO experience and/or language problems and who STILL get offered a PhD.

The work experience is good, you should be prepared to discuss what you are doing (to show knowledge/that you can discuss it). If you are using laboratory skills you would use on the PhD point out how you already have some experience and how you are currently at the right standard due to this recent work. I think their concern (rightly or wrongly) would be that you would need to put more work in to get to the standard you were at 3 years ago. You can use the work experience to counter that.

C

My friend retook her 2nd undergrad year after serious illness and got on a masters and PhD. I worked in admin for 6 months after my degree, then did work experience before starting a PhD a year after my degree (nowhere near the same but shows that small gaps are fine). I struggled to get on a PhD as I did a computer project in my final year, but once in the university I was able to negotiate more work experience and a PhD.
I also know someone who is in her 40s and has started a PhD after many years as a lab technician. I think using the work experience to make personal contacts is key, a lot of people I know do PhDs in the lab where they have already done a project.