Doing a PHD in a different field than the one I have

J

Hello, I have a BS degree in computer engineering and a master degree from business school in Management information systems. But I started to feel an interest in social sciences , I would like to get a PHD in political science, is that possible ?taking into consideration my background ??

G

I would imagine almost certainty not (unless you mean a 1+3 that is).

J

Thanks for the reply, but can you explain what you mean by (1+3) ??

J

Hi there
I work in the field of International Politics... You are unlikely to be able to get straight onto a political science PhD unless you can show considerable transferable knowledge from your previous degrees... which seems unlikely? You may be able to get onto a masters course but even then you will have to show some kind of dedication to, and knowledge of, the subject... Maybe a year of some independent learning re: political theory etc, and some volunteering will help you on your way.

HTHs

J

Thanks, but do you suggest taking a course in a university as an independent study or I can just do an independent reading of the subject till I gain good knowledge of it

J

Thanks, but do you suggest taking a course in a university as an independent study or I can just do an independent reading of the subject till I gain good knowledge of it

S

As has already been mentioned, you need to have a very solid basis of knowledge. Political Science is a massive discipline - do you have any idea on which aspect you will research? Your research proposal would have to be rigorous as regards methodology/analytical framework and you would have to be able to justify this before you could begin your PhD.
You could do this with independent study if you have a thorough literature review, but it is highly unlikely you would get funding without a Masters (and even then the competition is incredibly fierce). Again, much depends on what you actually plan to research.

J

I meant a year of independent study and some volunteering just to get on a masters course...

S

Come on its not that hard to get on a masters, especially if you can fund yourself (CDL)! There are transferable skills between disciplines, most places - even Russell Group - aren't that strict.

J

If you haven't any background in it it would be that hard sleepyhead - political science is really competitive to get into and most jobs need masters level... Also I dida Bsc in anthropology with politics modules and two years of volunteering, applied to a decent uni in the UK and only scraped in! Trust me, it's hard. And when you start, it is so scary if you know nothing! How can you compete at Masters level in a subject you know *nothing* about against people who have done it for three years, and -double whammy - can therefore prove their commitment and aptitude to the topic? I am not saying it can't happen - in fact I have advised to the contrary. It won't be snap-your-fingers easy though!

S

I was a linguist as an undergrad - did no politics modules at all, but it was a top uni - and got in to an excellent university (top 10 for Pol) to do my MA in Pol, no questions asked. I was in a class with people who had done International Relations, Politics, and Pol theory as UGs, but it was not hard to catch up... and I got a distinction. My PhD is also in heavy Pol Theory and Philosophy.
What I had was skills that helped me to learn quickly, and the uni where I did my MA recognised that.

J

Thank you Jayney and Sleepyhead for the advice , I think I have to reconcider my options , it seems that I will have long way to go!!

J

Well well done sleepyhead and its nice to hear a positive story. Two different experiences can only be helpful.