doing major corrections in 2 months?!

C

i submitted my phd last year but ended up with a nasty viva where i got major corrections. distraught, i went through a phase of depression and now my official submission deadline is in january.

to meet this deadline i need a draft of my thesis at the end of October which my supervisor can look through and get back to me with final corrections. i've done some reading but very little writing and am only getting back to being my former self. the corrections are vast, a major rewrite of the work.

i'm hoping its possible to do it in two months - (still lots of reading to do!) - but at least in the two months am not doing any sort of work so am planning on doing them 24/7. am in social sciences, therefore its the 80,000 word thesis. i have two chapters done, but 4 to go!

prior to submission i took me three months to write the entire thesis, but at the time i was positive, upbeat and all. but after a disastrous viva, i find it so hard to be positive about it all.

i came on here to get some accountability. somewhere to report what i've done. maybe that'll motivate me a little.

is anyone else doing major corrections. how do you feel about the whole thing?

M

Hi,

Well don't worry. Major or minor corrections appears to be different between different universities. In my case, they told me my corrections were major but our University does not have a "major" field and it is only minor or re-submission (fail). As such, I had to literally re-write a lot of the thesis. (It seems almost double). I think you can do it. Don't worry. I have done the changes in less than 2 months. But the other problem is that I do come close to a breakdown a lot of times. It is very hard to keep focused. So, please do keep taking breaks.

Good luck with everything,

M

D

I have only just joined this site and am preparing for my viva and have noticed problems with my thesis. My supervisors agreed it was fine for me to submit but now I am not happy with it. Missing literature from review, not happy with structure of review and one of my other chapters is weak and I think needs more work.

I am very anxious and as you had major corrections I just wanted to ask abut your experience of the viva and what happened. I not really sure what to do other than pray they don't notice the issues I can see.

D

LOL, I don't think you should pray that they won't notice! But I understand what you're saying.

If you've been working well with your supervisors thus far, and they feel the manuscript is ready, than it's probably ready.

If you do a search under the term "viva," you'll find a wealth of posts describing tips and experiences. However, keep away from the viva disaster posts, because these will only make you more anxious. Keep your mindset positive.

Q

======= Date Modified 08 May 2012 13:43:47 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by PostGrad Forum team - SPAM*

Q

======= Date Modified 08 May 2012 13:43:54 =======

W

======= Date Modified 09 May 2012 08:40:00 =======