Don't know what to do,..

T

I have been working on PhD for 3 years and my funding is now coming to and end. I got one article published not directly related to the task of the work. I have not succeeded with the final task of the work that I am doing. My work being purely experimental in field of physics. My mother just died and I got word that my second paper was rejected after second review since it did not contribute anything to the existing field. I have to write my dissertation. I don't know what to do,... I am very depressed.

I

I understand your situation and hope that this phase of life will be over and you will be back on track soon!

Though I am not from hard sciences back ground. But I would advise you to see your supervisors. Tell them the hardships that you have been going through with more recently (both financial and personal). Get a GP note and see the uni counselling services too. Try to convince your supervisor that you need extra time to finish your work. Once (hopefully) time is given to you then you can proceed with applying for writing up year grants. I applied on three grants Charles Wwallace, Hammond Trust and the Glasgow Association one and go an extra 4500 pound from these which was a heaven for me. I was an international student in Glasgow so couldn't apply for many other grants that are open for home students. Try making an effort along these lines and I wish you my very best!
Take care iman

Quote From thestargaze2:
I have been working on PhD for 3 years and my funding is now coming to and end. I got one article published not directly related to the task of the work. I have not succeeded with the final task of the work that I am doing. My work being purely experimental in field of physics. My mother just died and I got word that my second paper was rejected after second review since it did not contribute anything to the existing field. I have to write my dissertation. I don't know what to do,... I am very depressed.

I assume you've applied for a PhD suspension, even if only to give yourself time to grieve. See your GP also to seek help for your depression. If possible, take a holiday.

Quite frankly, I would not regard the PhD as important right now. You, your health and wellbeing are what matters.

Your supervisors should understand how you feel.

Ian

G

I agree with Ian. Look after yourself, that's most important right now, everything else can wait. Under the circumstances, organising a suspension shouldn't be any hassle.

Take care

GM.

L

I'm very sorry for your loss stargaze2.
I agree with the other posters, best to take some time away from studies right now. Nothing takes priority over your well being - physical, mental, or otherwise. Plus, the break might also spark new thoughts, or a different perspective on your phd work. That often happens, especially in the sciences.
Best of luck.

A

I have a UK masters degree and i want to proceed to PhD in any of the UK universities. I have sent my research proposal to 2 research staff from different universities and the proposal was accepted for supervision and was advised to go ahead and apply for admission. My Masters degree was low grade (Pass). The 2 universities told me that because of my low grade they cannot give me an offer for a research. I want to do PhD. Will i be given an offer if i apply to any other university, what should i do ?
Amawo