Down time??

G

Hi all

Just coming up to the end of my first year next month. A lecturer came up to me today and said they had noticed how hard I was working and said I need to take more down time. I feel guilty if I don't work in the evenings when I get home and find it hard to do other things like watch movies without feeling bad. Has anyone else experienced this?

E

Same here... I listen similar words but my apothegm is "Working kills noone". If you have power, willingness, it's always better than slumbering.

F

Take it from someone at the end of third year, you need down time to give you the stamina to continue to the end. If you work too hard you'll quickly burn out and relationships with family and friends will suffer. Treat a PhD like a 9-5 job and try to leave your work alone in the evenings. Save your stamina for the end.

M

Since starting my PhD I seem to have taken on more and more work and in the past few weeks - when I feel like I should be enjoying the summer - the work just seems to roll on and on. If you find the solution be sure to post it here in capital letters!

G

Thank you Frisbee, I like that treating it like its 9-5, I will start trying that.