Downgrading from PhD to Msc

J

Have any of you ever heard of somebody changing from a PhD program to a Msc program, because I'm currently considering this posibility but I want to know a little bit more before talking to my supervisor

M

Actually I got a friend who did a PHD for two years , dropped out and now starting a Masters course (something that interested him) in Sep

J

But I am thinking about requesting a transfer from the PhD program to a master program, of course starting from the beginning of the course, but I dont know if the college will be ok with that.

J

And what exactly would be the difference between starting a new course or applying for a new course? In any case, you would have to fill out an application form and probably provide references because PhD and MSc serve different purposes and naturally have different requirements.

Or are you talking about an MPhil?

R

for most people it should be easy enough but I dont think you can transfer directly from a PhD into an Msc( they are two very different degrees). What you can do is drop out of your PhD or finish it and then apply to do an Msc.

You may be talking about an Mphil? not much less work than PhD. usually submit in two years but you dont get a Doctorte. Ive never really seen the point of Mphils other than as a consolation prize for people who want to leave their PhDs

P

rjb203: "Ive never really seen the point of Mphils other than as a consolation prize for people who want to leave their PhDs"

Not to mention an unfortunate stain on your CV which shouts "failed PhD!"

To be avoided at all cost IMHO.

W

Forgive my ignorance but can you not write up the first year of your PhD work as an MRes?