Drafts of your thesis: which supervisors read them?

P

Hi all. I have three supervisors and am writing up my PhD with around a year left. For those that have experience of this, I was just wondering who looks at your drafts? I'm concerned it'll only be my first supervisor and don't find his feedback to be very useful! Is it okay to send my second and third sup some chatper drafts as well?

D

======= Date Modified 04 Oct 2011 13:19:03 =======
It should be your first supervisor but if you have concerns be tactful and send it to all three, saying something like, 'Just to keep you up to speed and to let you see what I've been doing..." Hint that you would be receptive to feedback but let them decide if they want to read it and hopefully they will.

D

I had three supervisors, one uni and two external, so each had something unique to add. I sent my draft chapters to all three and the draft thesis too. I had comments back from my uni sup and the first external. The second external only commented on particular areas applicable to his expertise. I don't see the problem in gauging three opinions which can make your thesis stronger. You will have to decide the important changes as there will undoubtedly be a difference of opinion!

S

I have two supervisors and both have received every single draft. They generally agree on the most things and when they don't, I email them with my query and we have a discussion around it. All very healthy and helpful! It's a bit like buy one get one free! Lol it is double the work though...

Just remember that they're advising you and the research is yours so you only need to take on board what you wish, but generally speaking I normally encourage people to listen to their sups as usually they have more experience and want what's best for us.

B

I had two supervisors: one external who used to be my original supervisor but moved 500 miles away and sort of turned into a second supervisor, and one internal who took over as primary supervisor after the first one left. Both read through my thesis drafts and gave me feedback on them. They took different time scales to do this, but it worked out ok. And they often disagreed with each other in their feedback. But they told me very clearly not to worry about that and that I should make my own mind up.

My primary read mine first then secondary. As the secondary virtually only did grammar checks after the primary had asked for extensive revisions, I dispensed with his services towards the end, once I'd learnt and incorporated his grammar style as part of my own writing style. The primary was that thorough I was able to get away with this.

The secondary was just happy to be left alone.

Go with whoever gives you the highest quality feedback, though out of politness keep the other(s) in the loop and hand drafts to them if they have a decent contribution to make.