Dropping out of Phd

J

I am currently a phd student. However, I don't think that I will be able to continue Phd. First I have other responsibilities and moreover I don't think I will be able to Phd because it might make me overqualified and I won't be able to get decent job. My university has this policy that they don't let students transfer to MS program unless a genuine reason is given. I wanted to know if this is just to intimidate students who join phd program just for funding or seriously.

I had this great enthusiasm when I joined the phd program. But now I am starting to lose it and I think that MS program will be much better for me. So, I was wondering if I could transfer to MS. What should I do? Is it possible for me to transfer to MS program in my current uni or I can apply to other uni if my current uni doesn't let me transfer to MS program

L

Honestly, I don't know. It's probably best to ask these questions of your research registry, or find out if your handbooks have any information about this. At my university you're given the option to transfer after your first year if you're not able to reach the standard required. You need to direct this question at someone at your university - probably a conversation best had face to face. Why not ask your supervisor what they think?

D

======= Date Modified 03 Jul 2012 15:31:07 =======
Are the course requirements for the MS program and PhD program the same? If not, you will have to take (and pay for?) more courses. This may be why your uni discourages students from switching tracks: the course credits aren't transferable. As Lindalou suggested, check with the registrar.

Quote From jtyler:

I am currently a phd student. However, I don't think that I will be able to continue Phd. First I have other responsibilities and moreover I don't think I will be able to Phd because it might make me overqualified and I won't be able to get decent job. My university has this policy that they don't let students transfer to MS program unless a genuine reason is given. I wanted to know if this is just to intimidate students who join phd program just for funding or seriously.

I had this great enthusiasm when I joined the phd program. But now I am starting to lose it and I think that MS program will be much better for me. So, I was wondering if I could transfer to MS. What should I do? Is it possible for me to transfer to MS program in my current uni or I can apply to other uni if my current uni doesn't let me transfer to MS program

The vast majority of people have a downer at some point of their PhDs and I would advise you to have a good chat with your supervisors before you make the decision to switch or quit. You might not get another chance. However, you've now discovered the downside of a PhD and bits of it can be a long, long haul. This is why I'd strongly advise people to look strongly into the pros and cons of a PhD before they start (as commented in my blog - http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net/ ).

Maybe a Masters route might be better for you, maybe your supervisors can put you at your ease and to give it a little longer.

As regards switching, I can only reiterate others in that you will have to have a good look at your University regulations.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)