dummys guide to getting postdoc positions!?

D

Any hints and tips to getting postdoc positions? I dont know where to start! Keep asking people they just tell me to keep my eye open. But how / where?!

S

By far the best route is just by telling anyone you work with & everyone else that you're looking for a post-doc - I've ended up helping to write me into proposals for post-doc funding with researchers that are carrying out research in my field and that I've either been passed onto via a contact, or worked with before. Give a presentation at a conference and mention to anyone you chat to afterwards that you're looking for a post-doc position. Many positions are never advertised, so this is a good inside route to getting one (though a bit more work than perusing the adverts). And you get to make sure the postdoc includes what you want. Good luck :o)

H

I have been told that one of the great benefits of going to conferences is that you meet lots of people and later on they might be interviewing you for jobs! Apparently when it comes to post doc positions it's more 'who you know' than what you know. I think when it comes to post doc people will always prefer people they have common ground with over people that they don't. 'Better the devil you know.'
Also alot of positions might be available but unadvertised, so you will probably be able to find out through asking the right people the right questions.

S

you know in my reply I also added a website where academic posts are advertised, but obviously I'm not allowed to put websites in the messages as it appears to be wiped from my message :o( But there is a website which advertises jobs & you can get weekly updates to your mail box. I'm also on a mailing list for my subject that emails me job adverts - ask colleagues if they know of them.

M

Throughout my PhD I tried to keep a high profile by organising conferences and seminar series, giving presentations etc. I'm currently in my fourth year but have been working as a post-doc for a few months in a position I was 'invited to apply for' - I've also had my name included on some grant applications and stuff. I really think that this helped me get my job. Otherwise, conferences are also good, as previously suggested.

Good luck with the search!