Dundee or Leicester

N

Hi, I've had PhD offers from both Leicester and Dundee. They are both amazing projects but Im not sure whether I should stay on at Leicester (where im an undergrad) or move to Dundee. Can anyone help?

S

your question I assume is 'If both projects were identical and amazing, is it better to move to dundee than stay at leicster

There is no hard and fast answer - I did my undergrad and PhD at the same Uni and it hasn't held me back in the least

Some might say that if you moved, it would show future employers that you can move around and you gained a PhD position based on merit and not just being handed it by a undergrad supervisor who knew you (this is a very sceptical point I know but its one argument)

Personally I would always make the choice based on the project -

how good are the supervisors,

how well structured are the goals and outcomes of the project - realistic and acheivable?

Which supervisor is going to have the most time to look at your data when you hand it in - and which one is going to be too busy

S

What are the prospects for jobs from each project based on the techniques you have been told you will use (thats if its a science one) - i.e. there will always be more jobs in cancer, heart disease etc than in physiology based projects - again this is only science directed - but I assume it translates to a few other areas

How easy is it going to be for you to live and get on in the area? do you easily make friends?, how many other PhDs were in the department? you only have to look at previous posts to see the importance of support from close friends and other PhDs.

Finally I suppose - do you want to travel, live away from home (if you don't already)

Dundee (in a science view) has some great research going on, there is a good student population and plenty to do, plus you are never far away from Edinburgh, Glasgow, the highlands etc if you want some time out

S

Personally I would never take the job just based on whether one university had a better name than another - in most cases it will not make a difference when you go for a job afterwards - you'll be chosen on your acheivements - publications etc - and if you go abroad afterwards, it means practically nothing to them

good luck

S

H

What department would you be working in Dundee? Is it the Wellcome Trust Biocentre or somewhere like SCRI or BSI? The facilities at the biocentre are amazing, and there is a lot of support and encouragement from staff for postgraduates. You'll have to work hard there though, they really crack the whip! I've worked there before and it was a great experience.

N

Yeah, its in the Biocentre with Prof Storey's lab in cell & developmental biology. The one in leicester is with Dr Tauber in Behavioural Genetics although his project falls more under molecular evolution.

H

Prof Storey has a brilliant reputation, and is lovely to work for. Dundee is also a cheap city to live in, and it's nice and sunny. It's a bit limited for places to go out/eat, but you are very close to Edinburgh (~1hr on the train) where you will find lots to see and do.

N

To conlcude this thread, I have accepted Dundee's offer.

S

congratulations - good luck for the PhD

S