earning capacity

C

Hi all

Recently been thinking about shifting my career from consulting to academia. I would really like the idea of lecturing. I have been searching the net trying to find info on day to day life of lecturers the pros and cons of it as a career choice. I know it can be highly dependent on which university and subject you teach but does anyone have any insight into how much you could earn as a marketing lecturer in a university???

Oppotunities to work abroad for example if you have completed your phd in the uk can u apply for US vacancies??

M

You can apply to US universities with a UK PhD, but they are very competitive.

As for pay: an entry level lecturer earns between £28,000 to £34,000. This moves up to £40,000 depending on your scale.

Pay is generally crappy (relatively speaking of course), most of my colleagues supplement it with private consultancy work or teaching/instructing for private organisations (which I guess you'd be able to do).

H

If you look at www.jobs.ac.uk you will be able to see adverts for lectureships and get an idea of the payscales. As far as I'm aware there isn't much variation in pay between disciplines; on my university's human resources pages it states that the minimum pay for a lecturer is £31,500 regardless of the faculty they are in. However going straight from a PhD it is more likely that you would take up a postdoctoral, research associate or junior lecturer post which would obviously be less well paid.

No idea about US jobs, sorry!