Eek, he thinks I'm conference organiser expert!

A

My supervisor asked me to assist at a conference for a colleague next month, you know 'man' the registration desk, sort out conference packs, name badges etc. I'm meeting prof. who has arranged this conference on Wed when we're going to sort out what needs to be done. Only problem is he seems to think I know exactly what needs doing - think my supv oversold me somewhat!

While I have often helped out at conferences, I have never been the official administrator. Apart from the obvious, as in turn up and sit at the registration desk, does anybody have any tips for conference organisation? Name badges in alphabetical order - anything else??

At least I can officially update CV to include 'conference administrator'!

have everyones number in your phone and on a list - important numbers include..

- building/hotel manager
- security (in case of any key losing issues etc.)
- tech guys - VERY important, to sort out fowl ups with powerpoint etc.
- Caterers
- the chair of each session if possible so sessions are kept on track and on time.

Also have a list of taxi companies

A

good tips, thanks (up)

arrange so there is lots of water and lots of glasses in each room. If you have any 'important' speakers, assign someone to them - I've had some get quite uppity about not having things brought to them.

Also think about things that speakers may want at the last minute e.g. flip charts and where to get them from.

You need cue cards printed up for the speakers (i.e. 5 min, 3 min, shut up now).

You probably also have to write some kind of opening and closing speech?

A

more tips, brill 8-)

I've actually done pretty much all of what you say in one way or another at various different conferences. It's just that it's never been fully up to me. I was part of committee which organised the last one I worked at and everybody but me 'forgot' to rearrange chairs and lecture halls after the conference as per our agreement with campus services:-s.

My former airline life consisted of me 'handling' VIPs so I know all too well about treating people with kid gloves and making them feel special and important. I mean you just couldn't expect somebody to hold their own boarding card or look at the monitors themselves to see what gate they needed to go to :p

The thought of a plane makes me shudder! I hate them, I always feel really ill and have no idea how to get where I'm supposed to be (what IS "check-in"?? for example)

Next time I go abroad I will be rowing myself.

C

======= Date Modified 08 Aug 2011 19:56:32 =======
You got brilliant tips already. Perhaps having a  very detailed list of things that need to be done on the day would help.
I cut and paste below a bit from a check list that I made for a conference I co-organised:

9.00 Arrival, check delivery of coffee and teas, set tables according to scheme (that’s in the conference room)
(Please remember that afterwards, dirty cups and empty flasks will need to be put back into crates and put outside the room to be collected by Catering Services)
Set registration desk
9.30 speakers arrive and register
9.30-9.45 Corinne (I wonder if CJ and/ or LW would be available to help with this so that I can talk a bit to participants at registration?) goes to Room 12 and download presentations

If you are responsible for a small team of people working with you you should do lists for them too.

You will be great!

(up)

A

Thanks for those Corinne, they're great :-) I'm drawing up a list today of what you and Sneaks have suggested.

No team, just me which is why I am trying to make sure I have got it all covered and look uber efficient and bamboozle him with my conference organisation knowledge ;-)