ELIGIBILITY?

S

Hi,
Currently I finished my MAsters and looking for research. Being an international student , When can I be eligible for EU nationality?

Is that when I stay here for 3 years( 1yr MS+ 2 YR...PSW)......Does this be eligibility to apply for PhD after 3 years as EU national/./?

or

We should on job visa for 3 yrs...?

Currently I finished my MSc... and looking forward for research.. But I got rejection letters from top universities......

feeling frustated...and confused... on next step.........?

C

======= Date Modified 06 Apr 2009 07:55:40 =======

You won't be eligible for 'EU Citizenship' after three years. If you mean residency in or citizenship of an EU member state, then this is a process you have to apply for and will vary state to state. If you are in the UK then I think you might be talking about eligibility for funding for a PhD? You normally have to be resident in a country for several years for reasons other than education to be eligible for a studentship - though this may not apply to some posts/projects...

I think you should probably talk to your univeristy international students advisory - since an internet forum might not give you the best advice. But as a point - you could do a MA and PhD in the UK for X years on a student visa - but this would not give you British citizenship (and by extension a passport enabling you to have residency without a visa in other EU states). If residency is a goal then you will need to apply down the appropriate immigration channels...

If a research PhD is your goal keep applying around and stick in there! Good luck.

S

thanks for your reply...From first my aim was to do research, its not all citizenship...As many of the funded projects were for UK/EU nationals, I placed query..
With regard to my rejection letters, I just dont know where went wrong?? May i know the criteria in assessment of application for research(PhD) .. ??

P

I think they look for a good student (with 65% and above grades) whose interests have a fit with a faculty member who is able and willing to supervise the project and with whom (usually) the student has established contact, and of course with good references (which provide substantial detail) and the general demonstration of the ability to conduct doctoral research (writing standards, fluency in English, some depth of analysis etc).

K

do not be frustrated keep applying to different uni did u check the huddersfiled uni lot of PhD fellowship on the website i think for EU memebrs u be from memebr of EU states or live in any EU member country for three years.
Cheers

B

Hii..thanks..for.your..replyz...
im..not..currently...EU member...as...I have been since..for..only..1..year..in..UK..(Doing my masters..)
and also..Though im an distinction holder allthrough out career,I got rejection letters..
Ill surely try for other universities..
k
can any one clear me...that
Does the university in which we do our PHD...do count in future prospects??

P

I think you will need to work on your language skills without which UK higher education is quite impossible to enter and survive in. Please don't think I'm judging you in any way, because we all have our competencies in one core language or the other. But if you want a PhD acceptance here in the UK, you will doubtless need to work very closely with your grammar and usage of academic English, but more generally the English language itself.