End of 1st Year Progress

B

Hi guys

I am in the process of writing up first year dissertation, which has a 1st draft deadline this Friday.

My supervisor is just back from a months holiday and in that time i pretty much did no work - even after a year i am still stuck in the same work ethic as an undergraduate i.e. only seem to do work when i am given it or mini-deadlines set by my supervisor, or 'official' mid-year reviews or presentations etc.

other than that i have been struggling massively with learning my field of work due to lack of discipline (ok so thats maybe a fancy work for laziness...)

also the fact that the others in my group seem to be very into their work and are always taking about it, this is quite deflating when i dont seem to have the same outlook as them.

i also spend to much time on the bloody internets, which my supervisor has now highlighted, as well as too many 'work from home' days.

basically i have got the email from him now that i was expecting to receive about his dissapointment in how i am progressing etc etc.

so it has come to an official 'turning point' - either get myself into gear or leave the thing.

has anyone experienced such a situation and what did they do? just get on with it and work harder?

i have arranged a meeting with the 1-1 personal development officer to see if they can give me any advice on the matter.

david

S

Hi David,

Unfortunately I think you may have hit the nail on the head there - just get on with it and work harder. The short of it is that that is what you need to do and what you will need to do in the future as well, whether you stay in academia or get a job. Obviously it's easier said than done however. First of all download Google Chrome or SW ware Iron and have that as your only internet browser, then download the extension for it called StayFocused. This allows you to either block or only allow a certain amount of time on internet sites of your choosing (e.g. here, BBC news, Facebook, whatever...). After your allotted time you cannot get to these sites. That should help the internet problem.

Next, set yourself some clear goals and only allow yourself rewards if you attain them. E.g. I need to write my 1st year report to be ready the day before it's due. If I achieve this I am allowed to finish a bit early the next day and go to the pub with mates. If I don't I can't go out this weekend, or whatever bonus or whatever you want to make it. Tell someone else you're doing this and get them to help you enforce it (they need to not be a pushover). Continue these mini-deadlines all year, even if there is no "official" deadline. The one goal thread on here may be useful to you.

As for the others in your office, if you start to get stuff done and do well you will get a nice smug feeling of being better than them (that you are entitled to!) and it'll probably make them pull their socks up. You get out what you put in, so put in more and get more out.

At the end of the day you are getting paid public money (if you are funded) and so, just like the MPs everyone whines about, you need to earn the money everyone else pays out (especially as a student doesn't pay tax!)

Sorry if it sounds harsh and I hope you will take it as constructive advice.

All the best,(up)