Endless notes rant - what a mess

M

I've never had a problem with my note-taking but since I've started this damned PhD I've come to realise that my note writing abilities are absolutley awful! I have come to write some stuff up from what I've been reading and here I am with endless notes upon notes in a big pile of mess and I have no idea where to start or what to do. I think I should find some help on how to be efficient in note taking!
Any quick solutions for this mess (aside from burning the lot??)???

O

There are some suggestions out there on how to take notes, and develop a card file index system of them...using different colours of pen even to indicate quotes, precis, etc. Are you working from your own copies of things, or library copies? If I have my own copies, I like to scribble notes in the margin on the first read, and then have another read or two over a day or so to let the ideas sink in. Usually I am thinking how the ideas relate to other things I have read about, so I might scribble that in the margin. Later, when I want to write about the article, I will write my thoughts somewhat free form, linking this and that, and then type them up, with appropriate footnote references...

O

O

I am giving away my age by saying that I prefer to do my first drafts by hand, rather than typing at the keyboard. I actually keep a notebook with my notes of the articles I read, and the first hand written drafts on things. That said, over time I purge the drafts because they have hopefully morphed into pieces of more formal written work, but nevertheless, my work space is sometimes like archaelogy, where I am digging through the layers trying to find what I need.

R

I am writing notes on everything from now on... I just spent the day trying to figure out which articles from a big pile I have read and which ones I haven't - had no memory of most of them initially and then realised halfway through 'oh yeah I HAVE read this'

M

I started off thinking I was clever and saving paper/ink by using Microsoft Onenote (ha! how stupid was I!?), then realised that it defeated the object because to see the notes in order to write up (on the computer), I had to print out the notes from Onenote. So then I ended up with notebooks to make notes and the odd strewn piece of lined paper. I tend to use library books mostly, so I make note of any useful quotes etc. and then use a different colour to mark anything of extra importance and also add my own comments. It seems like a good system at the time - until you get to this stage!
I am now redrafting and redrafting trying to find the relevant topics amongst my notebooks and piece it all together again. I have attempted to number every page of notes to be able to make a quick reference back to them, but the notes appear to be blurring into one another! Please tell me this isn't going to be life for the next 3 years

M

And hence - very little work gets done in a day!!!

O

Can you get back to the books that you referenced? I think working exclusively from notes is difficult-for the reasons that you pointed out. Do you write as you go, or do you wait until you have a big chunk of material and then write, or some other system? I usually write 4-5 pages on a handful of related articles/issues, and use that to start building my chapter--that way I am not reliant on the notes after a long period of time, I would have written when the stuff was relatively fresh on the brain and I could make sense of it.

O

I "pile" articles in rough categories and tend to keep separate piles of the ones I like, versus the ones that were not so helpful, the less helpful ones get shoved to the back of whatever flat surface is storing articles. This is a horrible system if you live with someone, or are a neat freak, or need to use the flat surfaces of your home ( ironing board, cooker, etc) for daily living. I think it is good to go through and throw things out, too---I chucked out several notebooks, as they had served their purpose and I could not be bothered to interpret my mad scribblings again, and in some cases it meant re-reading material--but as I am sitting here doing that, its useful--what made sense on the first read is different than what makes sense on the fourth read---with a lot of other reading in between!

J

I am still looking for a good system too. I've got the notes all over the place, and files of stuff that I think I need to read, and also loads of articles that I thought would be useful but now I can't for the life of me think what I wanted them for! I have promised myself that I will sort it all out in the next few weeks, but that is no guarantee that I will actually do it

S

Olivia (think we are similarly ancient) I also keep old fashioned notebooks. Unfortunately my writing is awful though!

Here's something I do for keeping track of my refs and what they are about. I have an electronic library in Endnote and I use the subject bibliography feature to run out lists of related refs with abstracts (might be related by a key term - usually the refs I collected that particular day). I print out these lists and highlight key phrases - and sometimes scribble an extra note in the margin. If I have a copy of the paper or abstract I record where that is being kept in my Endnote library.

S

Later, I can go through these lists and quickly see which refs I have (and where) and which are the most useful. My field cuts across several disciplines and my ref library is exploding - I've had to have a tight overall system but one that is not to arduous.

As to the where exactly - I use coded magazine racks and plastic wallets - it's quicker than conventional filing which I would be too lazy to do.

B

Hey mokey--this is such a headache, managing the resources you've collated. Everyone seems to have their own system. I write out my notes, and put them all in a folder titled 'to be typed'. Once I've typed up a set of notes, I put the typed notes in a folder under strict headings. I've got about thirteen massive folders with material that is yet to be read. The stuff I've read gets divided into two separate folders: read--to be consulted at a later date, and read--of no use. Have I just managed to further confuse you?