EngD experiences?

D

Anybody have any recent experiences with this programme?

Im in the dilemma of taking an engd in an area im passionate about or a well paid graduate role in the same industry (which is sporodic at best in hiring).

Will the engd lead to potentially better career progression? Especially over a masters?
Does the four years in the engd contribute to work experience (and to what extent for employers) in applying for first role? Or am i back to graduate roles?

any help or info appreciated!

G

Generally with any Doctorate, career progression and starting point is improved vastly in the Engineering sector. This is at least the case for PhD, so I'd imagine it would be the case too for the EndD (if not moreso than the PhD, since it tends to be more professionally relevant).

I have been informed by prospective supervisor that gaining a doctorate will do more for you than entering industry as a graduate and going through 3-4 years of promotion. i.e. imagine you and one of your peers were at the same point, one of you goes for the EngD, and the other goes straight into a graduate role. Later, once the EngD is completed, the person who gained the doctorate joins the same firm. Usually, they'll start at a higher position than the person who has been there 3 years since graduation, on a higher salary, and usually with faster career progression.

In engineering, a PhD counts for around 1.5 years experience towards 'chartered' status, and I'd imagine at least the same (again, if not more) applies to the EngD. You certainly won't be back to graduate roles, at least, not at the same levels as people leaving with undergraduate Bachelors/Masters.

None of this, however, is from personal experience. This is the information I got from prospective supervisors I spoke with when I was sorting out my doctorate.

D

Quote From GSM:

Generally with any Doctorate, career progression and starting point is improved vastly in the Engineering sector. This is at least the case for PhD, so I'd imagine it would be the case too for the EndD (if not moreso than the PhD, since it tends to be more professionally relevant).

I have been informed by prospective supervisor that gaining a doctorate will do more for you than entering industry as a graduate and going through 3-4 years of promotion. i.e. imagine you and one of your peers were at the same point, one of you goes for the EngD, and the other goes straight into a graduate role. Later, once the EngD is completed, the person who gained the doctorate joins the same firm. Usually, they'll start at a higher position than the person who has been there 3 years since graduation, on a higher salary, and usually with faster career progression.

In engineering, a PhD counts for around 1.5 years experience towards 'chartered' status, and I'd imagine at least the same (again, if not more) applies to the EngD. You certainly won't be back to graduate roles, at least, not at the same levels as people leaving with undergraduate Bachelors/Masters.

None of this, however, is from personal experience. This is the information I got from prospective supervisors I spoke with when I was sorting out my doctorate.

Good post. It is very true that the EngD graduate position is higher and better paid than a Masters engineering graduate with 4+ years experience. To add to your point about the chartership, the EngD satisfies immediate chartership upon completion.