ESRC

E

Anyone applied for ESRC postdoctoral fellowship before the closing date of 1 February 2011?

S

Yep, currently awaiting notification, which is late. I submitted the application Nov 1st, due to hear early April for start date May 1st. I've chased things up with the ESRC who tell me that I'll hear 'in due course'. So frustrating!

E

Oh, hope you will get some positive news asap!
I have submitted Feb 1st - je-s says 'awaiting examination' ...

Did you submit other applications?

S

Thanks! My Je-S says 'Awaiting Decision', which tells me that they're probably still waiting for the reviewers' comments. Quite annoying that the timescale which the ESRC provide is pretty much meaningless, although with this year being anomalous due to the axing of the fellowship, I guess anything could happen. No other applications in the pipeline (rejected from Brit Acad) but currently working as an RA so things could be worse.. I'd say be prepared for a long wait, but fingers crossed. Have you submitted other applications?

E

no news yet?

K

Hey! I didn't apply for a fellowship but as a team we applied for a large grant from the ESRC in December and were promised the results in July. Yesterday we were informed that results now wouldn't be available until January, meaning that they're taking over a year to process the application. Needless to say that is too late for the three of us named on the application and we are all now going to have to look for work elsewhere. I suppose they will have different processing times for the different types of award and maybe different committees who make the decisions, but I probably wouldn't hold your breath...good luck though. KB

E

Same delay messages (late September instead of June) for fellowships!

E

Sushidave, do you have your results by now? I'll have to wait a few more months ...

S

The frustrating saga continues.. I have been in touch with my contact at the ESRC almost daily since being invited to interview at another Uni for a teaching fellowship, and after an unbelievable chain of events involving reviewers who no longer exist, reviewers who never received the documents etc etc, the have told me that my two ratings so far are 'divergent'. So, they're being re-reviewed.

I'm now in the position of having been offered the teaching position (yesterday) but am concerned that this post would mean that my research would suffer. Stick or twist? I'm impressed with the dept who have made me the offer, and its location, but the ESRC fellowship is a much better career move..

The RCs seem to be in disarray and the applicants are really suffering..

E

As far as I understood, ESRC might give you some freedom in choosing your starting date (take up within 12 months after decision)? Is this correct? Especially in times of messing up people's timetable, they should offer some flexibility in starting dates ...
So maybe you should take the teaching job now and stay for a Term or a year and take up the ESRC postdoc the year after?

E

Budget for the PDF scheme decreased from £7,391,000 --> £3,843,000
2009-2010 versus 2010-2011
or is there some money left for us?
;-)

http://www.esrc.ac.uk/_images/AR_2010_11_web_tcm8-16081.pdf

R

ESRC Postdoc Fellowship funding was slashed partly because the scheme wasn't really improving its Fellows' job prospects on the academic job market. With fewer of them around, those who do get the Fellowships might fare better. But it's not a passport to an academic position as I know all too well.

E

rejected!

S

Sorry to hear that Ellie. At least you can move on from limbo-land (and the rest of us can be assured that there's at least *something* happening over in Swindon..).

E

You're still waiting ???