Examination (viva)

E

Hello, I am new to here. It's my first time. I am completing the PhD draft that will be sent next week. I would like to know, is it common to have a viva during summer in UK? Thanks so much!

D

Viva's can happen at any time of year, assuming the time and date is fine by all. Undergraduate students have the Summer off but staff usually work all year round.

Quote From delta:

Viva's can happen at any time of year, assuming the time and date is fine by all. Undergraduate students have the Summer off but staff usually work all year round.

In late July and August, staff do have a tendency to vanish as they offload their leave they can't take during term times. It is less likely you'll face viva at these times and also late May and early June, when they're invigilating exams.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

D

My viva was held early July so can be done in the summer. From mid July through to Mid August it was difficult getting hold of the internal examiner as they were on leave, so the corrections sign off had to wait til late september. Things over the summer run much slower.......

E

Thanks everyone! your replies are so useful. I am thinking of July actually. I will try to ask about the time of early July. cheers

E

one more thing: if I indeed need to complete the viva before July, because a job offer. Is this making sense to politiely ask for a viva in July? Please help!:-(:$

D

It would do no harm to suggest it but the examiners and supervisor / supervisors will have the final say. Just be clear about why you need the viva then and see what happens. As I said, it can do no harm.

O

Hey this is first time i visit here and i found your forum so interesting and amazing thanks guys to discuss here in so detailed basically i am a ACCA student i didnt faced thee types of viva questions but in college i also faced these viva and practicals and i know better about these things.Thanks for all of your comments