external theses at Oxbridge?

L

Happy New Year to everyone.

I am in the US and looking for a research PhD. I am also a professional at a biotechnology company. I know some universities in Europe (Switzerland etc.) offer opportunities for individuals to complete external theses i.e. at their respective companies, in which case the supervisor is from the said university and the student is expected to provide recurring presentations to the lab/department.

My employer has granted me funding as well as permission to undertake such an endeavor. There are a few research labs at Cambridge that I am very interested in. I wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with such flexibility at Oxbridge. Any additional advice will also be welcome.

Thanks

J

unlikely - forget it

T

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/gradstud/current/new/living.html

You have to complete at least 3 terms in Cambridge to be eligible to graduate, and normally you have to spend the whole time within 10 miles of Cambridge. Any extended time away needs to be applied for through the Department, and ultimately the University.

So, I think what you're proposing wouldn't be feasible. Sorry!

R

if you have a prospective supervisor in mind it cant do any harm to contact them to see what they say, although im inclined to think the previous comments are correct.

R

if you have a prospective supervisor in mind it cant do any harm to contact them to see what they say, although im inclined to think the previous comments are correct.

R

J

Oxbridge is a place which does not exist. I hate the expression. Both are completely different and not comparable IMHO

L

jouri by Oxbridge I mean Oxford and Cambridge.

There was no intention to group or differntiate between the two.

S

If you know the labs you are interested in you should contact the lab leader directly. There is usually a residency requirement but there is some flexibility. I'm at Cambridge and have friends who have had leave to work away - although they have spent some time here (but that might be possible if you and your employer were willing for you te spend some time over here). It would really depend on how interesting your proposed project is to the lab here - if it is something they really like they might be motivated to make it work (especially if you have funding and especially if you have funding for the research itself). No harm in asking - although I think the odds are not all that good.