Facebook for academics

J

Like the title says...

I've not explored much on this site but apparently it's a facebook type thing for academics and researchers. you can look up projects to see what others are researching, etc. Might be worth a look if you're interested.

http://www.academia.edu/

K

Somebody mentioned this to me recently. Has it just started up? I've joined, but I'm a bit confused about the whole thing (really doesn't take much with technology).

P

am on there for long but havent checked in ever and dont quite know what its for

J

I'm not 100% either to be honest. I've signed up... I think it's just a community for academics to share their research... you can upload papers and presentations and so on. Maybe a way of propmoting yourself and your research to others?

I dunno.

S

======= Date Modified 12 Feb 2010 01:48:44 =======
I've been on this site for ages, and don't know if it's done me any good. It's also not comprehensive - there's basically no academics from my field on there. Established academics don't need to use this, so I suspect it's just for us up-and-comers. People also need to be careful if they're uploading material which has been published - this could breach copyright.

S

unlike facebook it seems that when a friend suggests you join you automatically get added to the website. had to delete my profile and remove myself from the mailing list :-s

N

I've found it quite useful for keeping in touch with people I've met at conferences - but, as has been pointed out, mainly other postgrads rather than established people.