Failed my 1st year viva, Is it possible Transferring another uni?


I have been told I have failed my first year viva after 2 years. I got my fist upgrade viva on December and was given major corrections for 4 months. Then, I had serious health issues and took 2 extensions. Around June I submitted my Corrections and then asked for 2nd Viva. The results were failure (MPhil)... I am devastated. I had an international scholarship and now I will have to pay a very huge amount which I honestly cannot.. My failure is not still on paper but they will inform me on email within 2 weeks. Is it possible at this point to transfer to another university and continue from 2nd year there?

For those who wonder why I fail: 2 weeks before submitting my first year report, my computer crashed, and we could not rescue any data. I took 1 month of extension and had to write 15000 words with all pilot data analysis within that short time. I could not send it to my supervisor first for feedback as I could only finish it the last minute. My supervisor was not happy with it. Then after having major corrections, things in my life got worse. I was exposed to DV at home and got depressed which all together affected my work. I could not study or write anything for so long even though I was forcing myself to do so. Then I hardly wrote corrections but again could not send it to my supervisor for feedback and had to submit by myself. My supervisor, then started to talk about failure. I believe that she had a very high impact in this results. Also, during this stressful time period I seeked help from uni but the university's counselling service returned me after 2 months of waiting which did not help me at all.

If I can transfer to another uni, I will still have 1 year of funding and for the rest I can work and pay myself. But the problem is can I transfer to another uni after failing my PhD upgrade viva? Thanks for reading and replying in advance.. I appreciate every answer


Dear Hana,

I am so sorry to hear of all the trials and tribulations that you went through.

No, I don't think you can transfer to another uni after failing your upgrade viva. What you can do though is finish up as a Master and use that master to apply for PhD in future, if that is what you wish.

If you want to fight your outcome, approach your students union and see if there is anything they can do for you. Maybe ask them to challenge the verdict or waive the payment.

Otherwise, all I can say is academia where the competition is strong and funding is tight has no compassion for anyone. It might be a blessing in disguise for you to get out of academia and get a job in industry in the long run.


Dear Tru,

Thank you very much for your reply. My College Tutor, University Counselling Service and Student Union are altogether supporting me and We are currently preparing to make an Appeal for the decision. It will be a long process but I do not want to drop out of the academia just because I had a very bad 1 academic year and it affected all my studies. I will fight for it and hopefully it will be good (no matter the results will be).

Thank you again for your warm words, I deeply appreciate it.


All the best, Hana.

One more thing to consider - supervisor. If you win this case, it would be best to get a different supervisor. I highly doubt the current one will be willing to guide you to completion nor give you a good reference. This relationship is dead. And I am sure that you can read up on bad supervisor stories in this forum.