Failed my PhD Candidancy Exam

S

Hi, all.

I joined my PhD degree in January 2008 in one of the Canadian Universities. My professor was an assistant professor at that time, i informed him by email that I will not come to PhD unless there is some sort of fund. I did my M.A.Sc. in another university in another city of Canada ( I thought joining a better ranking university in PhD would be better), traveled to the other city with my pregnant wife, when I told the professor I am traveling with my pregnant wife, he said we must talk, I came to the city, met my professor, his first question was this city is expensive and do you have money, and the weirdest behaviour I can ever find. My professor started also bullying me continuously, I did not know what to do,I had to stay in the same city because my wife was ready to have her baby,.... anyway, my baby came to the world with some problems and I had to stay even with Dr. Nerdu my professor, he gave me his proposal for NSERC for a project subject, his proposal was very vague and no proper referencing, I wanted to take the challenge and try my luck (I made a bad mistake), my professor started telling me at the end of my second year, do the proposal, but I was not able to find for him a possible solution for the question he has raised in his NSERC proposal, continuous bullying, telling me I dont have the TALENT to be a PhD student, he asked me to take a leave, cut my fund, but I did my best to stay, at the end of the third years, he asked me to do the proposal exam, I gave him a copy ( NO REVIEW) from his side, he started telling me not all people with PhD have success in life and he was trying to manipulate me to leave, I insisted to stay he did for me a committe, where they asked me to leave the program, I was cheated by Dr. Nerdu, I am going to complain againts him to give him fun, I will leave this University for sure, I advise all if you had a GOOD M.A.Sc supervisor do NOT leave him to another one to do your PhD degree, stay with him, I made a TERRIBLE fault, also this professor, all people in the lab advised me to leave, I should have done so.

Guess what my professor asked me after my proposal exam to write a paper about the feedback I heard from the committe, acknolwedge it and say what modfications I will do, he said this paper must be submiited to him after two days, I did so, after another two days I asked him what hapened , he asked me to come to the Lab personally, to tell me this news, that the committe will not change there mind, he asked me to take my stuff from the lab and leave. to my superise when I went to the ( chair of the committee who is the graduate advisor of the department) he said he did not get such a document, but he wa speaking to me the same way my professor was, not suitbale for PhD same words.

I dont know what trust did I have to sucha supervisor, he is very very low level professor I am sure.

W

You've been treated very unprofessionally and appear to have had a terrible supervisor. You appear to have named your supervisor in your post, so I'd like to recommend you remove it for the purposes of anonymity.

S

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, this name  Dr. Nerdu, is to show someone weird, this is not the name of the supervisor, I met with the Assistant dean of graduate studies, she said we can force your supervisor to supervise you according to guidelines, but she said I dont think even you can make it with him, you and the supervisor is a bad match, also I have a meeting with the assistant dean of my department to raise this issue, I dont know how much to mention about my experience with my supervisor, that lead to this awful result, also can I say why did the supervisor mention to me about the paper being submitted to the committee and in fact the supervisor did not, also shall I mention how my supervisor constantly tells me you don't suit as a PhD student, and discourages me this is sort of manipulation right ?

W

My apologies, Sam72. It's a truly grim situation that you're in. Like I've said, you're supervisor was unprofessional and don't believe him when he says you're not talented enough to do a PhD - it doesn't take a genius. I wish I was able to offer better advice. You appear to have grounds for grievance procedures, so I'd get in touch with your Dean and make an official complaint using your universities complaints procedures. I'm not sure how far you'll get though. Best wishes.

S

It is OK dear, I am going to apply to the same unv I have graduated from, I have an accepatnce, I dont know if my Ex-professors will revenge more against me, by contacing every professor about me, I am not sure at all. I want to pass my voice about this professor, who is very unprofessional, also he tells me I am old and at my age people have PhD, I cant believe it!

A

I thought he just used the nickname Mr.Nerdu...or is that the real name? Geez

S

Hi,

dr. Nerdu is not the name, it is from my ouwn imgination, looool!

S

Sorry own not OUWN, I have been given the choice to appeal or to just leave, what shall I do, I am sure staying with this professor is useless, I have an acceptance from another unv, not offical yet, but I have a professor who will accept me, any help please?

thanks