Fave books (non-fiction and fiction)

H

I have a few that I love but my fave is

The life of Pi by Yann Martel

W

3) A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson)

2) LOTR: Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)

1) Roots (Alex Haley)

K

Unbearable lightness of being--Kundera

S

Good choice forum team.

My fav book is probably 'the da vinci code' by dan brown

J

that looks like a horrible book of death.

H

PostGradForum team, you guys must enjoy going to the Mash House by devonshire green?

D

My favourite book ever is Testament of Youth by Vera Britten, have to read it atleast once a year.

A

The Life of Pi is a top book, as is the LOTR (The Silmarillion is also amgood read, bit heavy going at times but explains a lot so worth the effort). An old favourite is To Kill a Mocking Bird.

J

I can't pick a fave book its too hard.

H

I just thought of a really good book for people who are currently feeling down about their PhD and life in general:

The fifth mountain by Paulo Coelho

Its a really inspiring book and makes you look at things in a different perspective.

D

I've always wanted to read Mein Kampf, just as an insight into a social period and delusioned mind, but I'm to embarrased to order it from the library in case people think I sympathise with Nazism. Also it might freak me out having it on my bedside table!

S

Yeah, books can be really powerful things. There are some that I'm too scared to buy/read. I really enjoyed reading J.L. Carr's 'A Month in the Country', or (the only book I've read twice - for pleasure, not study) Jude the Obscure (Thomas Hardy).

H

Just wondering, do people generally stick to one genre or do they like different types of books?

Personally, I read lit fiction (booker prize winners etc), sci fi, Harry Potter, women's fiction (for some light relief) and a big fave is books based in foreign countries or historical or both (fiction).

W

I read anything and everything but the author has to come recommended through someone I know and share interests with. For instance someone told me about Bill Bryson and I then went out and bought one book after the other.