Feel like a fraud!

P

I'm in my 2nd yr and I have these occasions where I have a serious dip in my confidence levels and seriously wonder what the hell im doing here! My supervisors are constantly giving me work, asking my advice about things, I've created my own toolkit from start, I play a major role with the bigger project (my phd is linked to it), get loads of daily interaction with my sups, but I can't help but wonder if they think I'm up for it! I have my upgrade soon, and I'm really nervous about it. I'm finding it really hard to focus on my PhD as I tend to get pulled in to help on the other project. They have however, used all my suggestions for particular measures (quantitative and qualiative measures), and some of my lit reviews for the projects and publications...but I feel like someone could do this much better than me!

I work relatively hard 8am-4.30 Mon-Sat (sometimes)but I'm just finding it so hard to juggle 2 projects (phd, one i help out with) and my seminar teaching. I feel like such a crap teacher as well which doesn't help matters!

:(

D

((((hugs))))
All these doubts sound very familiar. I think its perfectly normal to have lapses of confidences.. In fact my PG convener said he would be concerned about the people who never questioned their abiliites. You are obviously making good impressions on the right people otherwise you would not be in such demand. Take that as a sign that you are doing ok. PhD students do not tend to get much positive affirmation from people but it does not mean you are not doing well. I do think you need to start to prioritise as if you continue to work at such a rate you will burn out. Also 8-4 x6 days sounds like over work to me...seriously. Try to relax you would not be where you are today if you were not capable of doing this x

C

I agree with the above. You are doing a lot, and the reason your sup listen to you is because they value your opinions and skills. I would definitely rate your work 'above average', but it's normal to feel uncertain. I feel like you most of the time, in spite of the results that I had so far...All we can do is our best, but we also need to realise that we need to 'let it go' sometimes. That eases a lot of pressure.

A

Sounds like you're doing ok. Keep going.

V

That's because you have expectations and are a perfectionist. How you do isn't good enough and you always strive to do better. That's how you got on the PhD in the first place. If you feel the other projects and seminars are getting in the way of your PhD, explain this, because your PhD is what matters most.

X

You're not alone, don't worry. We all feel like this. I expressed your same concerns to a friend and he said: 'Take it easy!' So when I'm having a frazzled moment, I think of those words...or have a glass of wine. Maybe that will help. Don't forget, there's life outside the PhD, and that's one thing I think we all have to remind ourselves when we're feeling low.