Feeling incompetent about my primary research

A

I'm having a real PhD low at my moment because of my primary research. I was so comfortable, perhaps a bit too comfortable, writing my literature review, and now, when it comes to my original work, I am failing miserably and I feel out of my depth.

I have to start approaching people to take part in interviews and focus groups, and I just don't know how to start. I mean, what do I write in letters etc? I know I know all of this, deep down, but I'm starting to panic. Do I just explain my project and what I want to find out, or do I need to go into more depth. My brain is emptying at the moment and I'm finding it difficult to do the smallest of things so any advice would be gratefully received.

How are the rest of you organising your primary research? I was hoping to finish by the start or mid Summer and then start analysing the results. Thanks in advance for your help.

A

It really depends on what your research involves, what field you are in, and whether you are known to any of your potential participants.

If you are going to be 'cold-calling', i.e. approaching strangers, then you need to decide how you are going to make your initial approach, whether by letter, telephone or email. A letter is the most formal approach so is probably suitable for people you have had no previous contact with.

Your letter should give some brief details about your research, probably only a paragraph or so. You need to write enough to pique their interest but sending a three page letter packed with dense research information is likely to put them off, so try and be succinct. You should then describe what would be involved in the research - will they have to be interviewed, how long is it likely to take etc. You should also explain their rights (anonymity, free to withdraw without penalty etc). If you are offering any incentive to participate, you should mention it here too. You don't have to be exhaustive. When you have your participants and you are proceeding to the data collection stage, you will need to provide all of them with an information statement and a consent form, so don't feel like you have to cover everything in this first letter.

Most universities will have a standard clause that you need to include somewhere in your letter as well, stating that the project has been approved by an ethics committee, so check with your uni about that.

Make sure you follow up your letter with a phone call or email or another letter if you don't get a response. Finding participants is hard, especially when you have no prior relationship with them, so you need to be persistent.

Good luck.(up)