Fight or Retreat??

T

======= Date Modified 26 Oct 2011 05:53:46 =======
======= Date Modified 26 Oct 2011 05:36:19 =======
I'm currently in my 2 year doing phd. To make it short suddenly out of blue, my supervisor refused to see me and he even chased me out from his room after I've tried to apologize and ask him for forgiveness. To make it worse my sample is seasonal dependent, I need to wait for one year for it. This is not the first time he did this to me, last year he did that to me too. He even threaten to throw me out as student, just because I've helped his co-supervision student from a lecturer that he hate. He accused me as "back-stabber" and many more. The problem is I didn't help those student w/o his permission. Before he went for sabbatical, he asked me to help them when he's not around. Just because of my senior being questioned and advised by this lecturer. He felt really angry with that lecturer.

This time I think I can't take it anymore. I've tried to meet him twice and both of the times he chased me out. Even when I sent him an email to book appointment he accused me being rude! Actually, I didn't dare to talk to him face to face, as he chased me out for the first time, that's why I've sent him an email request for a meeting. There are problem in the project, I've tried to solve it out but failed! I need his opinion on this but he refused to see me.

Now I didn't know what to do, last year I barely managed to get any data because of that fight between the lecturer (and he drag me on it too) and this year this kind of thing happen. I'm already worn out, if I bring this matter up to the dean for sure my supervisor accused me being an "attention seeker" and trying to tarnish his reputation. Actually I'm not his first student to encounter this, he even kick a post doc before just because the post doc have different views from him and few of my senior have been through same kind situation too. But they just keep it mum and just quit from continuing under him.

Should I fight or retreat? :-(

Is your supervisor actually physically chasing you-I mean out of the room?! Did he actually kick the post doc? Surely this sort of thing isn't okay...even by crank supervisor standards? You must be able to report this to someone! I don't think it is a question of fighting or retreating but simply standing your ground and if this crazy academic is physically bullying you then go to someone in your admin or building and complain.

You won't be the only person to experience this and if he is that 'out there' in his behaviour, the Dean must have some idea. I say go to the Dean or if you are worried about going behind his back and possible repercussions, find someone in admin and ask their advice about what to do.

S

Well if he physically assaults you then you go to the police!

Sounds like he is very much in the wrong. If you have a 2nd supervisor go and talk to them about it. Be frank and honest. After that you might want to talk to the head of department. Obviously you need to be careful so make sure that the people you talk to understand that you are talking to them in confidence and that they should not tell anyone else. They should be able to give you good advice. You may be able to change supervisor for example.

T

======= Date Modified 26 Oct 2011 15:04:48 =======

Quote From pjlu:

Is your supervisor actually physically chasing you-I mean out of the room?! Did he actually kick the post doc? Surely this sort of thing isn't okay...even by crank supervisor standards? You must be able to report this to someone! I don't think it is a question of fighting or retreating but simply standing your ground and if this crazy academic is physically bullying you then go to someone in your admin or building and complain.

You won't be the only person to experience this and if he is that 'out there' in his behaviour, the Dean must have some idea. I say go to the Dean or if you are worried about going behind his back and possible repercussions, find someone in admin and ask their advice about what to do.

Actually he pushed me out (physically) of the room when I was asking for his forgiveness..n he locked his door..So, I have to talk thru the door..about the post doc he didn't kick him physically what I mean he "kick" him or throw him as his post doc as he didn't like ppl have different opinions from him. I'm so scared of him..in great stress last year for a long time.. n this thing happening again..

What I'm really afraid that he will do something unpredictable..Last time he locked one group of student inside a room and left just like that

S

======= Date Modified 26 Oct 2011 15:55:50 =======
Complain to your 2nd supervisor and to the head of department. Email your supervisor and explain that you find his behaviour unacceptable. Cause a fuss and make an official complaint. People not doing so in the past appears to have led to this. If what you say is true he should be sacked.

Stop thinking that verbal and physical abuse is acceptable from someone who in fact has a duty of care toward you. If you've worked with someone he didn't want you to then that's his look out, he shouldn't throw all his toys out the pram and act like a spoilt child.

T

======= Date Modified 26 Oct 2011 16:20:25 =======

Quote From screamingaddabs:

======= Date Modified 26 Oct 2011 15:55:50 =======
Complain to your 2nd supervisor and to the head of department. Email your supervisor and explain that you find his behaviour unacceptable. Cause a fuss and make an official complaint. People not doing so in the past appears to have led to this. If what you say is true he should be sacked.

Stop thinking that verbal and physical abuse is acceptable from someone who in fact has a duty of care toward you. If you've worked with someone he didn't want you to then that's his look out, he shouldn't throw all his toys out the pram and act like a spoilt child.

I will try to meet the dean. Hopefully it will be okay.I've already told my second supervisor.She doesn't seem that shocked because my supervisor fight a lot with another lecturer and he doesn't have any friends in that school.What shocked my 2nd supervisor the most is he did that to the students too.

L

It sounds a bit like your supervisor has some mental health issues as this behaviour is totally unacceptable. I agree with the other's advice, you need to take this to someone high up in the instiution and get it sorted. You can't have someone like this supervising you. I thought my supervisory team were annoying sometimes but the stories I read on here really put it into perspective! Let us know how you get on!

I can relate to the above, having had a 'bullying' supervisor on my second post-doc (or at least no man management skills).

If others are aware of this person then you should at least look to changing to a new supervisor. Do this with as little fuss as possible then with new supervisor in place, just get on with your work.

I would stick to the bare minimum to get away from this person, such that you have nothing more to do with them. Universities will close ranks to protect their reputations, even where they have a bizarre or unstable character. Only use the full blown formal complaint path as a last resort.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

S

I feel awful because I could not help but laugh while reading this!

I mean no offence to you tea4two - in fact I am horrified that this behaviour is happening to you - but seriously, why is this guy not locked up? Can you film him & pop it on YouTube? .... that would certainly bring thing to a head ...

S

Quote From Mackem_Beefy:

I can relate to the above, having had a 'bullying' supervisor on my second post-doc (or at least no man management skills).

If others are aware of this person then you should at least look to changing to a new supervisor. Do this with as little fuss as possible then with new supervisor in place, just get on with your work.

I would stick to the bare minimum to get away from this person, such that you have nothing more to do with them. Universities will close ranks to protect their reputations, even where they have a bizarre or unstable character. Only use the full blown formal complaint path as a last resort.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Ian, whilst I can see the logic of what you say here in that it protects the OP from harm there is the issue that (if what has been written here is true) this guy shouldn't be in his position. If everyone just quietly tries to avoid him because they don't want to make a scene he will be around for longer and cause more people problems. Sometimes it just takes one person to stand up and say "hold on, this is ridiculous, how is he still employed?" and everyone else joins in.

I agree with Ian here. I have been there, and in my experience I can tell you that people will show a lot of sympathy, but they will do nothing to help you.

My own sup made a complete fool of himself in front of other colleagues, but then, he was forced to apologise and it was made clear to me that I should have accepted the apology. He is now HoS. I very much doubt that an official complaint would have changed anything.

Again, as Ian suggested, I would tread very carefully. Your current sup is in the position to poison the environment, and it would be very, very difficult for you to move forward in that case. Who do you think they are going to support? You said that your 2nd sup didn't sound too surprised - this should tell you something. I am sure that this person's behaviour is well known, nonetheless he is there and aware that he can get away with it, which is sad.

Although we work in a department we might not be fully aware of the dynamics of that place, and what is going on behind the curtains, so I would try the "soft" approach before going for the official complaint.

T

======= Date Modified 27 Oct 2011 16:36:52 =======

My Dean asked me to meet my supervisor again and solve it and my Dean actually blame me for not reporting about it when it happened to me for the first time. I know it's my fault too, but I really thought things already sort out after that but obviously not. I've also asked my Dean to set up a meeting so my supervisor and I can sort these things out because I want to know the reason too and ask him (the Dean) to be a witness so no one can tell twist the word that came out from that discussion and my Dean agreed.

Just now I've got a call from my lecturer, guess what? He's screaming non stop, one of his favourite word he keeps repeating, "How dare?? How could you do that to me??!!You know a lot of my secret. You know I have no friends at school!!". I keep quiet until he said "What? Are you lost for words now?? Scared now?". I said to him, "No, I'm still here. I just want to solve the problem". Then he answered "No. no.. You're trying to humiliate me!! I've word for you, stop your study quietly or try to find a new supervisor, if you can find ONE and if you think you can survive here and one more thing, all the data you have collected are belong to me. I do not allow you to use it" and he hang up the phone.

Complicated isn't it? Tomorrow I'm thinking of bringing some unprofessional email he send to me last year and this year. Regarding this matter, he already fights with the Dean too. He said "If the Dean really loves you, why don't he take you??". Obviously he can't because I'm a PhD conversion student, if I change my supervisor, I need to start from scratch back and end up with MSc. only.

Frankly speaking, every year there will be a new victim that will be chased out from his room. So this year it's my turn. I don't know if I should fight or just take it because obviously he will do that again to me and to anyone. What makes me upset so much is he did that everytime I need to do my sampling!! I've waited for it for 1 year, why should he picked that time, last year too.

From my labmate info, they said someone spread some bad words about me again (same thing like last year!), even when they tried to back me up, my lecturer keep saying he doesn't believe them. He believe the "source" more. Even I want to explain myself, he chased me out. Last time I even asked my supervisor to bring the person he believed that been bullied/used by me. So I can hear from that person mouth himself is it true I did that to him and my supervisor refused!!(Please remind that I talk to him thru the door as he chased me out n I have no way to talk to him but talk to the door ..LOL!!). I've asked the person already, the person said he doesn't know who start the rumors since he also shocked when my supervisor telling him that. He even denied it to my supervisor but supervisor think that he's trying to cover me up *SIGH*

I'm sorry Tea4two, this sounds like an awful situation to be in. My own personal experience is that you can't let bullies get away with it or they will continue. So when being bullied in the past, I've found taking steps to stop this or to stand up to the bully has had positive results. However, having said that, I do get that in your situation, you don't want to be the one who loses if the university close ranks a little. And sometimes you just need to stop it happening to you- the situation is too tricky for you to really stop the person bullying those around you.

However, you can still go to student services and find an admin person there OR counsellor who will listen to your story (in confidence and in a safe environment). They should be able to provide you with advice and strategies with EITHER what to do about your supervisor OR will give you personal strategies so that your supervisor finds it less easy to bully you and moves on.

I might be misreading your text, but it seems that in part of your post you still worry about what your supervisor thinks about you and get drawn into his game at times-like being drawn into justifying your own actions when he is clearly ranting and going into a rage. You don't need to do this. He lost the right to your good opinion when he started being abusive. You do not have to justify your responses to him. Good luck Tea4two.

S

Good advice from Pjlu there. I don't see how he is allowed to get away with it. The rest of the university need to grow some balls and actually stand up for their students and themselves. Even if what he claims is true was true his behaviour is unacceptable. Who is his line manager? Why is he not facing disciplinary proceedings? Definitely go talk to someone impartial at the university about it. Are you in the UK? If so this is relevant http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/DiscriminationAtWork/DG_10026670 if not then it's still slightly relevant.

======= Date Modified 28 Oct 2011 16:23:02 =======
Hmm, with reference to my earlier post I think it's time formally request a change of supervisor. Don't make a complaint as such (unless as a last resort), just initiate a change.

Can you make your second supervisor your primary? If not, can someone else not replace you're primary?

It looks like he's suffering some form of mental illness if what you say is correct. I know of one nervous breakdown during undergrad days and the class that witnessed it (I wasn't there) just watched the bloke fall apart.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)