filing a compaint about the school: where to?

L

Currently studying in the UK as a research student and feel that I have been treated unfairly by the school - am under pressure now from them to terminate my studies, which I'm not prepared to do as I've done nothing wrong. After my first year, I took a year out. Then upon my returning last November, I was advised by the school to 're-apply' to a different department and start with a new supervision team. It doesn't take a genius to know what that means!

Long story short, the real reason is my supervisor who just isn't willing to supervise me anymore. There hasn't been any row but things just don't flow between me and him for some reason. Now of course they can't force me to leave, so they are coming up with excuses that are easily solvable. (eg. ' there is no successful prospect to completing a PhD', although I had later said that I would be happy to settle for an MPhil.) With the money and time I've invested (self-financed), I am not prepared to walk away that easily. What other options do I have as I want take this issue further externally, when necessary? All advice appreciated.

N

I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time - before you seek external help is there a postgraduate coordinator you could speak to? Or do you have a guidance tutor, they should be able to advise you on who you should contact first; from what you have said it sounds like you need to speak to someone who is impartial. Do you know if any other students have had problems with this supervisor?

T

L0lly, I am sorry to hear this, as you are in the UK you wil be able to take the case to the OIA, however they will only investigate once you have been through the complaints' proceedure of your university and if it is a case they can investigate. So you need to obtain a copy of the complaints' proceedure and work your way through it. You may find that this works for you. It might be worth having a look at the OIA website to see if this is the type of complaint which they are allowed to investigate: they are limited.