Final year funding

C

======= Date Modified 10 Aug 2011 17:53:12 =======
Hi everyone.

I'm going to put this post out there, hoping others have been in the same boat. If anybody has any advice please let me know, it is invaluable at the moment.

I am currently studying for a four-year PhD (medical) and am just finishing my third year. I have been funded by a three year scholarship which of course is about to run out. Due to the nature of my Phd (I travel all over the place but do not get any expenses) I have not managed to save any money for my final push. I am doing an extra three months in the lab (unpaid) October-Xmas, and will then be writing up at home until March. Well this is the plan.

My supervisor is paying my bench fees and consumables Oct-Dec but she has stressed my stipend is not to be continued. Sadly in todays day and age I cannot work for free. I was considering a part time job but I really don't want to take the focus away from my studies. These last three months in the lab are so important it's ridiculous.

Has anybody had this experience before? If so, what did you do? Does anybody have any ideas about how I might get some money? I heard about career development loans, but applied and got rejected (they didn't say why). I'm at a loss, and can't see this PhD end being as stress-free as I wanted it to be money-wise. Of course, I get worried about money very easily, so working for free doesn't appeal at all.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you. Would be good to hear of some experiences.

B

Sympathies. Have not been in your siutation but I do know that it is worth investigating whether you might be eleigible for a grant from a charity or trust? Especially in the medical field?
Not easy but worth a look..
http://www.findaphd.com/student/funding/Funding-2.asp